what makes a diving agency a diving agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are all good friends in the UTD family, and ALWAYS welcome other divers :wink:

Wookie,

Many of the commercial schools require the applicant to already be certified as a recreational diver as a prerequisite. The least complicated requirement of commercial diving (saturation included) is the "diving" itself. Doing the job under isolated and hazardous conditions far out-ways the 'difficulty' of the act of diving. I've never met a commercial diver not proficient with SCUBA. The same goes for Navy Divers. SCUBA was part of my diver training program, as was the Mark V, Rebreather, Umbilical and Dry Bell. It's inconceivable to me that a Navy/Commercial diver would pose a hazard with SCUBA. I believe that Don Fast the HI at the Ocean Corp. incorporated SCUBA into the program there. Has this has been discontinued?

Having observed classes at Louisiana Technical College as well as The Ocean Corp, the Commercial Dive Students aren't trained to dive recreationally. Yes, they can take a recreational dive class in conjunction with the commercial dive portion, but you know as well as I that being a hard hat tethered umbilical diver doesn't exactly translate well to single tank neutral buoyant fin diving.

I'm sorry you're misinformed.

UK Sport has BSAC as the NGB for Sub-aqua for both the UK and England See here.

This has been the position for at least the last 10 years.

Kind regards

Hi Edward - I have to take issue here - the list from Sport Councils you link to only lists one discipline against Scuba and that is underwater hockey, scuba is not listed on its own - therefore the list only applies to underwater hockey not scuba itself. Although I do have to say I'm bemused by the list and I think whoever compiled the list didn't know what on earth they were talking about.

For three years my son was Captain and then President of the Portsmouth University underwater hockey team (where underwater hockey was born) and played nationally and internationally and then for a local team after he graduated - BSAC had nothing to do with the organisation of their sport.

The British Octopush Association (yes - terrible name) are the governing body of underwater hocky - The British Octopush Association

If they mean that chart to say BSAC is the governing body for scuba they need to change it so it does not just list one discipline against Scuba activites. In any event underwater hockey does not use scuba, it is snorkels, masks and fins so should not be listed as a scuba discipline - cheers P

---------- Post Merged at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:46 PM ----------

for some serious out of season pool training see the video on youtube - originally conceived as diver training/conditioning for the Royal Navy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YZgh3V02I

Could you do that - I'd struggle - P

Are you using this definition to explain your definition of a scuba agency? That definition of agency has absolutely nothing to do with anything remotely related to this topic.

Lots of words of many definitions, and you need to use the correct definition in the correct context. If someone said that an Olympic sprinter set a new world record, would you object that he did not, because a record is a flat vinyl disk with a groove used to reproduce music?

Does anyone have a list of shops and destinations that don't allow GUE divers?
Maybe we could make it a sticky, so it would be easily found for future reference.
There must be more that share the same view. I'd like to avoid any awkwardness, and not inadvertently go to the wrong places. :-(

What shop are we discussing anyway?

-Mitch

John,

You either get it or you don't. The word "agency" (choose your own definition) is appropriate for PADI and NAUI, but not for GUE. If you figure why, let me know.

As the person who wrote the standards that Moonglow uses in her teaching I feel moved to point out that GUE and UTD are, in my world, both certifying agencies while the ADC and AAUS are not.

I suppose any of them qualify as “certifying agencies” as long as the person you want the tank fill, boat ride, or class from accepts it. My first certification was from Art’s Aqua Shop, which was open when Art wasn’t on a plumbing job.

John,

You either get it or you don't. The word "agency" (choose your own definition) is appropriate for PADI and NAUI, but not for GUE. If you figure why, let me know.

No, I can't figure out why, so I will admit that from the start. I think it is up to you to explain your reasoning, not for me to try to try to take a wild guess at something taht seems to be coming out of the blue.

---------- Post Merged at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Let me put it another way. I have certification cards from PADI, TDI, NSS-CDS, and UTD. Having gone through those classes, I cannot see a dime's worth of difference between them in how they operate. Please explain to me why the PADI, TDI, and NSS-CDS cards all qualify me for further training, but the UTD cards do not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom