What kind of wetsuits do you all wear in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm thinking of mostly the South FL areas as that's where I live. Palm Beach county south to the keys. The average surface temps seem to hover around 70ish in the dead of "winter", LOL. Although, I've never been diving in the winter yet so I don't know how cold it gets at depth. Surfing in the winter I usually wear a 3/2 fullsuit at most and that's just when it's coldest air temps. I'm probably more sensitive to cold than most people though as I have very low body fat %.

Wondering what I would need for the upcoming winter as I plan to dive year round. :)

Everyone is a little different. I am probably about average in my thermal needs. I dive in your area (Pompano Beach) on my annual snowbird trip from late January through mid March, and when I am using a wet suit, it is a 5mm suit and no hood. I have never been cold in the water using that. This last winter my problems were between dives on the boat, because I did not bring enough to stay warm there. This year I am definitely bringing a parka on board until it gets warmer.

I went diving in Islamorada in January once. I wore a 5mm, but I did get cold. I have the impression that this (around 65-70) is the temperature range where people have the greatest variation in their requirements.

Edit: T-bone reminds me that I wasn't wearing a hood. In retrospect, that probably would have made the difference.

you can do it in a 3mm with no problem if you're shallow, the problem most people have is they don't protect their neck and head properly. You are usually much warmer in a 3mm and a good hood than you are in a 7mm with no hood in these temps

this past winter season for myself: 7MM full suit with a 3/5 hooded vest. the majority of my dive buddies wear @ least a 5MM suit with a hood and or vest. BTW many upper keys dive professionals(instructors/divemasters/guides) wear dry suits during the winter months,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Sharkskin and a sharkskin hood would do me just fine. Your water temps in the Summer are too HOT for me in a dive skin! Guess I have to much bioprene :( or spend too much time in temperate water :idk:

A good versatile choice would be a 5 mm one-piece suit, with a 2 or 3 mm hooded vest which fits OVER the outside of the suit. When it gets really cold, adding a second 2-3 mm hood with a small bibb, will make the suit much warmer and you can use the normal hood with a thinner suit during other times of the year. Double hood makes a big difference, just make sure they are not too tight.

The water is not that cold, the most important consideration is pre and post dive warmth on the boat. You will need a large, water resistant, wind proof coat which you can wear over the suit and (very important) a ski hat.

I also use a 5mm with 3mm hooded vest in the winter. In the summer (once the water is 77 and up) I use the hooded vest with a dive skin. My wife wears a 5mm with vest all summer and doesn't dive in the winter.

DD gives excellent advice about keeping warm on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom