What kind of wetsuits do you all wear in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the boat is something not to forget. I use a 5mm fullsuit with separate hood and am nice and warm even in the occasional thermocline. On the boat, we wear dive parkas with hoods. Looks weird wearing canadian dive parkas in the Florida sun, but it makes a big difference.

the water temps can get as low as 65F some winters..i wear a 1/4 inch wetsuit with a hooded vest in water and a boat coat when on the boat.....

I dive Boynton Beach with occasional trips up to Jupiter year round. I have a 3, 5 and 7mm full wetsuit and a 5/3 mm hooded vest. I wear them all during each season depending on water temp. I have the hooded vest (by the way, as opposed to DD, I wear it on the inside) on every trip in addition to the wetsuit chosen. In addition to seasonal water temp variation, we get cold uprisings and significant thermoclines. I was diving in Jupiter the 3rd week of September on the wreck trek during Goliath Grouper aggregation and there was a sharp thermocline at about 50 feet with a bottom temp of 67 degrees. Unfortunately, it was 82 degrees the day before and the cold water was a surprise. I was very cold in my 3mm and hooded vest, but not as cold as the folks in less, and there were many.

I have a really warm hooded, fleece lined boat coat made by TruWest that I take out on every boat trip from fall through spring. Be flexible, stay warm.

i'll go with my 3mm thru most of November (maybe with a lavacore vest or shirt under). I'll switch to my 5mm toward the end of November until the end of december. Then i'll go drysuit until warmer spring conditions come back. The drysuit is less for underwater conditions than it is for surface condition. the winter topside winds can be really chilly. I may forgo the 5mm and go right to dry depending on how lazy i feel this year

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom