what kind of threads are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
not knowing where to post this I posted it here

I got this tank from a local fire department and wanting to make use of this tank but I need to know what kind of threads it has

the valve:
uploadfromtaptalk1354632195306.jpg

pics of the tank:
uploadfromtaptalk1354632358976.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354632368145.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354632377745.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354632389278.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354632399998.jpg

What is your intended use of this tank?

It is intended for use in firefighting in their air packs. It is not suitable for diving. It is a Carbon Fiber shelled thin wall tank that will not hold up underwater. Taking this underwater will cause it to de-laminate and fail. It is also woefully out of date. I believe they have a service life of 15 years, which is why it was taken out of service. The tank is dated 1999. It only has a psig rating of 2216. I believe they are 40 or 45 CF tanks.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added December 7th, 2012 at 11:26 AM ----------

Oh yeah, they are buoyant as hell too!

It's an SCBA valve and, as noted above, designed for firefighting use.

Strictly speaking, water won't cause the composite shell to fail - but if outer epoxy resin coating gets damaged and the underlying fiber wrap is damaged or exposed to water, then the tank will need to be condemned.

Also, as noted above hoop wrapped tanks are special permit tanks and one of the restrictions on them is a 15 year life span, so it's basically at the end of it's service life.

Even in the event you could use it, it's quite light for it's physical volume, so it would be incredibly floaty and you'd need a great deal of lead to achieve neutral buoyancy.

----

Luxfer does make a hoop wrapped 4000 psi scuba tank, (basically a fiber wrapped shell over a standard AL 80) but it also suffers from the same life span and use/damage cautions above and they are not real common (meaning they don't sell many of them).

I was not planning on using it diving, simply as an auxallary tank to fill up things like tires and such. also what does end of life mean? is that its unsafe to use?

Last edited:
Manufacturers recommend the tanks to be destroyed once they pass the 15 year mark. No one should fill it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom