What kind of tanks are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred177

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am talking to a guy right now about two 120 cuft tanks. he cant tell me what brand they are and i was wanting to know for buoyancy information so i thought this would be the best place to ask. also, does $200 each sound like a fair price? i am gathering equipment to start taking tech courses in the distant future and thought that 120's would be good for the deep/extended diving i want to get into.
thanks for your help

01010701020201160820080907a80fb568e.jpg

edit: dont really know if you can tell the tank just from the picture but i thought it would be worth a shot

Last edited:
Main info we'll need is the numbers and other symbols stamped on the tanks...

They could either be Worthington's or Pst's... Depending on there age "hydro".. As suggusted earlier get the numbers off the cylinders would better help us determine what they are...

Also when was the last hydro performed on them? Tanks that need to have a hydro and may have to be tumbled may not be the saving you think you are getting..

Regards
Randy

i am waiting to hear back from him on the markings on the top but the hydro was in 06 along with the vis.

i am talking to a guy right now about two 120 cuft tanks. he cant tell me what brand they are and i was wanting to know for buoyancy information so i thought this would be the best place to ask. also, does $200 each sound like a fair price? i am gathering equipment to start taking tech courses in the distant future and thought that 120's would be good for the deep/extended diving i want to get into.
thanks for your help

01010701020201160820080907a80fb568e.jpg

edit: dont really know if you can tell the tank just from the picture but i thought it would be worth a shot

You are also going to have to change those valves.

Also, with a manafold, bands etc you might be better off just buying a set of used doubles for around $600-$800.

yea i was looking to set them up as doubles. thats what ive been thinking on the used ones. unless i come across a good deal on a used manifold and set of bands. the problem is, here in west texas we dont see many deals on tech equipment. i think i just need to move to florida...

Just as a FYI:

I always see a red flag when I see a pair of steel tanks for sale. Usually at a good price. With really, really new valves on them.

It appears that these tanks may have been used as doubles before, at least it looks like there's marks from tank bands on them.

If these tanks came from northern Florida, I would be very disinclined to buy them. Especially if they're low pressure (2400 psi) cylinders.

Unless they passed a hydro right now. Even then I'd be leary.

And even if they aren't being cycled out of someone's garage after a lifetime of cave fills, doubled 120's are behemoths to start out with.

All the best, James

i was thinking those looked like marks from a set of bands as well. these tanks are in houston but i dont know where they came from before that. he told me that he was using them as singles with nitrox but doesnt need anything that big anymore. they do seem on the larger side and my main reason for considering them is i want to get into deep wreck diving and i figured i would need quite a bit of air for that. plus im not the best on consumption. would you guys recommend a different way? if anyone knows of any good deals on doubles in texas let me know.
thanks

They are Worthingtons (the black/white label is what Worthington puts on their cylinders from the factory). Beyond that, without any of the information stamped in the tank neck, I can't tell you anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom