What kind of slate do you use, and where is it stored?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I currently am using a slate that looks like a magnadoodle on one side and it has a pencil slate on the other, an I clip it to a D-ring on my BC becuase it is almost impossible to get it out of my BC pocket. I am really needing some ideas on what slates work best and are out of the way when not needed, as I don't really use it much, but I do like to have it, it just drives me crazy having stuff clipped to my BC everywhere, I feel like a big fishing lure!

I use a Dive Rite Executive slate. It's small, 4x5" and has 5 thin pages. That gives me 10 writing surfaces. I can keep several small maps of the local sites and still have plenty of room for temporary messages.

As much as I like the slate, I actually bought it for the pencil! I was tired of those wooden golf pencils that need constant sharpening and soon fall apart. The lead in this mechanical pencil is replaceable, with the extras in the handle. I've been using the current one for over a year and am still on the original lead! And yes...I use it alot.

I keep it in a pocket where it is handy yet out of the way.

$12.99 at Westmarine...
Tape a small ziptie to the pencil so I can fish it out of the binding where I store it for writing... run a loop of cave line through the binding and a bolt snap so that I can clip it off in the right pocket... (bolt snap free to slide up and down on the loop.)

Pencil easilt sharpen with knife but falls apart with great regularity...

"Wetnotes", use some of those pencils that you push the old lead into the back of the pencil and a new point emerges.

Stow it in my pocket.

ID

Hey Pug, why do you clip things off if they are in a pocket already? And please understand that I am not trying to be sarcastic, I have only been diving about six months, and I am just trying to learn all that I can from others.

Clipping things off in a pocket keeps things from falling out when you open the pocket. If you are horizontal, and you open a pocket on your thigh, things like to fall out, epsecially when digging through other gear that you carry in your pocket. When you dive in overhead environments, like caves/wrecks, you can not go vertical before opening your pocket.

Check this pic out to see how we do it.

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/left_pocket_contents_r.jpeg

Thanks for te link Big James, now it makes sense!

Originally posted by JT2
Thanks for te link Big James, now it makes sense!
JT2 I didn't take it as sarcastic and Big Jimmie just poached me on the answer (good job btw :D )

I want to add that stuff doesn't just fall out... sometimes we just pull it all out... unclip the thing we want and stuff the rest back in... without looking... that's the beauty of having stuff clipped off.

Hmm, my line arrows and spools fall out all the time. LOL!!!!!

Big Jimmie! LOL. Only my mom calls me Jimmie! But in the case of Pug, it's cool.

Back
Top Bottom