What kind of gear do I really need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldenred, what did you decide to do?

I'm in the same position. I've been researching for the past 4 weeks. I think the post below from Dr. Lecter is spot on. I just bought a Petrel. I'll rent for awhile, gain experience, then start accumulating gear along these lines....

I seriously doubt $3400 is a good deal regardless of what's in the package.

If I were to try and outfit a new single tank OW diver:

*Used SS backplate, STA (if needed for wing chosen), cambands, and one-piece basic harness: $150-$200ish (these are just pieces of metal and some webbing - you can tell their quality and condition just by looking at them and warranty and service/support are not important later on, so buy used and save 50-75%).

*New 30ish LB wing from Halcyon, DSS, or Oxycheq (pretty much in that order, depending on budget): $300-$500 (used wings are simple to screen and repair but you are new to this whole thing - a solid warranty will ease your mind should you get a defective wing). Halcyon has numerous dealers and will also work with you directly; the owner of DSS will work with you directly (and lecture you at great length, but that won't hurt you at this point); Oxycheq support is hit or miss (to be nice about it) but they make great wings.

*New Atomic Z2 yoke unsealed first stage and two Z2 second stages, plus a 5' hose and a 22" hose + necklace: around $700 for regs+octo (buy them wherever you find the best deal online, so long as it's an authorized dealer...because you can always call Atomic directly if there's a problem, no dealer required. You won't have to service them often; AA suggests every 2 years but most of us just monitor them ourselves and only service/send for service when they show signs of needing it. A reputable LDS will do an annual inspection for you for a very nominal fee, though doing it yourself is not hard and doesn't require any real disassembly. AA's warranty is not continent on servicing on their schedule, either.). Add another $100 or so for a good brass & glass SPG on a 26" HP hose.

If you want to spend a few hundred more, get the B2 and sell the swivle; if you want to spend a lot more, get the ST1 and sell the swivle. I consider the Ti regs a waste of money compared to the ST1, but whatever you like. For the love of all that's holy, do not buy any reg because it has "free parts for life" :shakehead: Because of your type of diving, I say skip sealing and diaphram regs. Finally, I should note that buying a good used Atomic reg set plus a separate 2nd stage on eBay or here and then having AA do a factory rebuild on it might save you some money. Not nearly as much as buying used and just inspecting yourself, but it gives you basically a new AA reg for about 2/3 the price after factoring in used prices and AA factory service. Depends on your budget, really.

Sub-Total: $1,250-$1,500, and you have great support for everything except the metal hardware that makes up the BP/harness part of your BCD.

Computer...it's your call. If you want to buy once, cry once, get a Shearwater Petrel, put it in Rec OC mode, and you're set forever. Another amazing company that you can deal with directly, not going through your LDS. Still, there's no need for you to spend $850 for a computer! Just realize that if you're going to go much above $300-$400, I think you may as well go whole hog. There are lots of perfectly fine rec computers in the $200-$400 range, but that's about where I'd set my limit for a non-Shearwater computer.

Your LDS is a great place to get gas fills, have tanks inspected/hydroed, and get classes. I don't see much point to using them for anything else. YMMV.

Last edited:
What comes in a $3400.00 package? Hard to compare without knowing what they offered.

There are so many brands out there it is like trying to take a sip from a fire hose. It looks like there is a fair amount of good used gear out there, but aside from a computer, I really think I'll wait to buy the rest until I have had some exposure to what is out there. I am having a hard time finding a good cert program in my area, it seems that the main priority is selling gear, not teaching the course. My local DS was hell bent on selling me a dive mask I didn't like and a dry snorkel ( I have been an avid snorkeler for 40+ years, and never felt the need to drop $60 bucks on a snorkel before.) as well, as telling me that my old jet fin style Voit flippers, aren't usable anymore, and that I really must have a new pair that cost nearly $200, instead of upgrading my old straps, which I did, and lo and behold, they work just as well as they have for the last 20 years. It is a shame that part of getting involved with the sport is running the gaunlet past the gear sellers, and their hardsell tactics.

There are so many brands out there it is like trying to take a sip from a fire hose. It looks like there is a fair amount of good used gear out there, but aside from a computer, I really think I'll wait to buy the rest until I have had some exposure to what is out there. I am having a hard time finding a good cert program in my area, it seems that the main priority is selling gear, not teaching the course. My local DS was hell bent on selling me a dive mask I didn't like and a dry snorkel ( I have been an avid snorkeler for 40+ years, and never felt the need to drop $60 bucks on a snorkel before.) as well, as telling me that my old jet fin style Voit flippers, aren't usable anymore, and that I really must have a new pair that cost nearly $200, instead of upgrading my old straps, which I did, and lo and behold, they work just as well as they have for the last 20 years. It is a shame that part of getting involved with the sport is running the gaunlet past the gear sellers, and their hardsell tactics.
It's very true, the people who support the industry the most are the new divers that know nothing and get taken at every turn by the gear sellers.
$200 for fins, $800 for a BC. $600 or $700 for a reg not even including an octo or gauges, and that's not even including a mandatory computer now (in many cases), I mean come on!
No wonder not many people are able to get into the sport.
I don't know what the solution is, or if there even is a solution, or if there is even a problem at all. Maybe this is just the way diving is now and people need to get used to it.
I see it as a barrier to many people, that's why I advocate alternative gear buying routes that will at least get people wet that don't have a lot to spend. There's a ton of great used gear out there that can be had for pennies on the dollar.
What ever happened to the classic dive bum that was able to get into the sport cheap and keep it cheap?
Has this sport just become a rich man's activity now?

I can say one thing though, the new divers who discover this board are at a distinct advantage when it comes to gaining knowledge about gear buying. They get valuable information that an uneducated walk-in LDS customer would never get about what is *really* needed and what is just fluff.
The only catch is they need to listen and pay attention.
They also need to trust us and give it a shot before their LDS has their way with them.

My best advice to somebody who hasen't even gone through open water yet is to stop, take a deep breath, and just do the class first.
Don't go and buy a bunch of stuff you know nothing about yet.
Rent or borrow gear at first, then when you gain knowledge and have had a chance to get in the water some, then start thinking about what type of diver you want to be, what avenue you might want to pursue, and select gear accordingly.
There have been tens of thousands of new entrants into the sport that have made the LDS owners' house payments, car payments, boat payments, and all that gear now sits in a closet or storage unit somewhere being useless.
Don't be that person.

There have been tens of thousands of new entrants into the sport that have made the LDS owners' house payments, car payments, boat payments, and all that gear now sits in a closet or storage unit somewhere being useless.
Don't be that person.

Be the person that finds that gear for pennies on the dollar, if not free. If gear has been stored properly it can last a long time, if not a little less.

Although I'm not a "classic dive bum", I did get into the sport cheap, my dad was interested bought gear and moved on to a new interest leaving me with the gear. Over the years I bought gear as I could, focusing on sturdy, reliable, and value (cheap but good). I have been able to dive consistently through the years despite jobs, marriages, kids, downturns in the economy, and other changes in fortune. Find out if you really like SCUBA and diving local (the key to continuous diving), then look to the future, buy gear that will last (and take care of it) when you have the money, and buy fills when your wallet is not so fat. And if things go well, some exotic dive trips along the way. If you like diving as much as I do, getting under water is is its own reward. It's not about the gear, or what you paid for it, or what someone else dives with, or who thinks what is the best, or what some knucklehead on Scubaboard says, its all about the diving.

Oh yeah, don't overlook freediving, it can make you a better SCUBA diver and give you access to some places that are to hard to get to while carrying tanks.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
SCUBA diving since '63

All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

I am blessed to have a job that has some downtime most nights and allows me to research things that interest me. So far as I have been reading articles about gear, and and types of diving, I am reasonably certain that I will want to do some wreck diving, and cave diving. At this time I think that I am going to want to go with a backplate and wing, instead of a vest. After I get the preliminary training out of the way and get some dives logged I think I will want to get a full face mask. There is just so much to this sport. The more I research, the more enthusiastic I get about it. So far the worst part of the whole thing is finding a place to get my first certification done. My local shop just rubs me the wrong way. I am going to give the folks at NADCO in Greensboro NC, a visit today after I get off work. Their program seems to be a bit more focused on training and less on selling me a buch of gear. Wish me luck.

You will like Dolphie and Randy at NADCO. They are really down-to-earth with training and are very good instructors.

You will like Dolphie and Randy at NADCO. They are really down-to-earth with training and are very good instructors.

I found my shop. Randy is great. I haven't met Dolphi yet, but I spent most of Saturday hangng out at the shop, and meeting some of the regulars. We had the first class last night, and are doing the first pool session tonight. If anyone lives in the triad area and is looking for a dve shop, look no further than NADCO. It is more like chilling with friends, than going to a store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom