What kind of fish is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They were hanging around the shallows where the Coy were. Grass Carp might be right. Thanks guys.

Yep, grass carp

fishcarp1.jpg

They are common grass carp. Put there to try and keep the weed growth down. If you look closely one of them is deformed. His body is bent in the shape of a wishbone.

TwoBitTxn:
BTW, they are yummy. Gotta be big though or the bones are a PITA.

I'll keep that in mind. The hot dog stand wasn't open yet and I never thought of it! :D

ewwww... Carp taste like dirt. Wet smelly fish-infused dirt... but dirt nonetheless.

Grass carp are a pain to catch, strict vegetarians, so you have to pitch them corn for 3 days and then pait your hook with corn kernels or they'll just ignore you. I have heard some people catch them by tying grass in little bundle balls and threading it onto a hook.
But...I think in most of the places where they stock them for weed prevention, it is against the law to keep them.

Ironcat:
ewwww... Carp taste like dirt. Wet smelly fish-infused dirt... but dirt nonetheless.

Grass carp are a pain to catch, strict vegetarians, so you have to pitch them corn for 3 days and then pait your hook with corn kernels or they'll just ignore you. I have heard some people catch them by tying grass in little bundle balls and threading it onto a hook.
But...I think in most of the places where they stock them for weed prevention, it is against the law to keep them.

It isn't that it is against the law, you just have to be familiar with the regulations on which tackle is legal in your state. Here is an instructional video on the best carp catching methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adBm7U9-8OM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom