What kind of fish is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that fish is defiantly a carp. just throw it in the smoker. it makes all fish taste good. you could smoke a shoe and it would be tasty. actually I have had smoked carp and its not bad. but in general its a fish better left alone. unless there is a carp shoot. up near here in clear lake they hunt them with special bows with reels attached. from topside the boat. they go out when there spawning in the shallows. at the weigh in they give away prizes for the most fish . ect. its a gas!!!

Carp here is considered trash fish and are shot by bow fishermen regularly. I don't think I could bring myself to eat one.

There are several varieties of carp including one species of 1/2 skin, 1/2 scale. . . nasty. They are an import from Europe in the 1800's for food and sport. When the carp is feeding in clear lakes or rivers, they might taste clean, but in most of our lakes they feed by sucking up the mud and gunk, and that's what they taste like.

Carp are considered trash fish, because they hurt the fishing for all other species. A 10 or 20 or 30 pound carp will push other fish off the nest and eat the eggs of sport fish. Also, after bass eggs hatch, the male bass will lead the fry around for a while. . . I've watched carp hunt and eat entire spawns in front of the smaller bass.

In years past a good spearfishing tournament in Texas or Oklahoma, might have 200 divers and bring in 300 or more carp. Anyone that wanted fish could have as many as they wanted. Unclaimed carp, we would haul off to a hog pen. . . hogs didn't care about the taste, just the feast. When these spearfishing tournaments went to swamps in the winter. . . we would bring back hundreds of Gar. Locals would stand in line for free gar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom