what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a proud fully paid up member of the Wuss club :)

18/20C is not nice you're being silly

In the same way we tolerate our Summer, where you have a 1 hr boat ride when air temps are 45C+, the top 10-15m of the water 28C then it's 23C . 2 dives plus 60-90 min SI (sweat feast) and 1 hr boat ride home

Heat I can do (you learn to living in the Middle East - Cold, not so much I've just turned the AC off in the house since it's reached a comfortable 26C. People in the UK would claim they were dying if their bedrooms were 26C :D

I'm a proud fully paid up member of the Wuss club :)

In the same way we tolerate our Summer, where you have a 1 hr boat ride when air temps are 45C+, the top 10-15m of the water 28C then it's 23C . 2 dives plus 60-90 min SI (sweat feast) and 1 hr boat ride home

Heat I can do (you learn to living in the Middle East - Cold, not so much I've just turned the AC off in the house since it's reached a comfortable 26C. People in the UK would claim they were dying if their bedrooms were 26C :D

Your internal thermostat needs to be fixed!

The body adjusts over time. -20C weather used to be balmy for me when I lived in N. Manitoba (-30 and lower was cold). After 15+ years here -5 is cold. Same with water temps. When we moved here in '05 people thought I was nuts with my exposure needs. Now I'm like them.

I'm with you. I'm in my drysuit if below 20ºC. But then I normally do 2 hour dives and barely move so even at 20ºC I'd be shivering in a wetsuit by the end.

The other day I donned my drysuit in 31ºC air temperature. It has been 18-19ºC in the water the day before so I shed a layer of undergarments. Shortly into the dive it dropped to 16ºC and I was so glad I was in my drysuit, but slightly regretted having one less layer of undergarments.

In Sydney at this time of the year (early Summer), the air temperature can be >30ºC but the water temperature can be 14ºC!

The body adjusts over time. -20C weather used to be balmy for me when I lived in N. Manitoba (-30 and lower was cold). After 15+ years here -5 is cold. Same with water temps. When we moved here in '05 people thought I was nuts with my exposure needs. Now I'm like them.
I'm with you. I'm in my drysuit if below 20ºC. But then I normally do 2 hour dives and barely move so even at 20ºC I'd be shivering in a wetsuit by the end.

The other day I donned my drysuit in 31ºC air temperature. It has been 18-19ºC in the water the day before so I shed a layer of undergarments. Shortly into the dive it dropped to 16ºC and I was so glad I was in my drysuit, but slightly regretted having one less layer of undergarments.

In Sydney at this time of the year (early Summer), the air temperature can be >30ºC but the water temperature can be 14ºC!
becuase I am a cold water diver I think of my trilam drysuit not a tropical drysuit... there is a difference

I dive exclusively in fresh water springs and cenotes in Florida and Mexico. I dive manifolded back double LP85s in a wetsuit and own my own gear. My wife dives with me. We are both working towards cave certification.

Cut my teeth with OW in Maine in March (not recommended). AOW in the keys a year later. Didn't dive between those two times. Currently not really diving locally. Logistics, cold water, and lack of scenery. Rocks and lobster. Prefer Bonaire, Cozumel, Keys, etc. :) I can comfortably dive in the cold 5-10' water here, it's just not worth the hassle at this point for me.

Back
Top Bottom