what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crusty old diver ... coming up on 20 years and 4200 dives. Spent most of those in Puget Sound, where I taught scuba for 12 years. Retired a couple years ago and moved to Loreto, BCS, on the shores of the Sea of Cortez. I thought I'd be a warm water diver, but that only applies to the summer months. Water temps are down into the mid to low 70's right now, and by March will be in the mid to low 60's. But the diving here's pretty good. I don't get out as much as I used to ... only about 70 dives this year. But I'm pushing 70 myself, and hope to be diving for a few more years yet. Just returned from my third trip to the Socorros since moving here. That's some pretty phenomenal diving ... and I don't have to get on an airplane to get to Cabo to head out there. So there is that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
How's the shell collecting in Loreto? I drove through there in '93 en route to Cabo from SD but wasn't a diver for another 12 years. Picked up a few average bivalves on the beach, but wonder what you may see diving in el Golfo. Tu Espanol es muy bueno? Que es el precio de gasolina ahora?

Mi español está mejorando lentamente. La gasolina es muy cara en Loreto ... casi un dólar por litro.

Loreto's beaches are all part of the Parque Nacional de Loreto ... technically, shell collecting is illegal anywhere in the park. But as with most laws here, enforcement is lax and people tend to do whatever they want to do. As long as they don't hurt anybody, the police really don't much care. And shell collecting isn't something they're likely to ever worry about (unless they can see an opportunity to practice mordita on a gringo) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Muchas gracias y tiene mucho diversion en BC Sur.

I was certified in 2009 right before my wedding. Took the pool & book instruction here in Denver. That was to prep for our honeymoon in Fiji. Spent 2 weeks on 2 different islands (1 week each) and got my OW cert. Shortly after getting back wife got pregnant and we now have 2 boys age 10 & almost 9 (Feb). Didn't dive much the past 10 years. Now that my boys are getting older I am trying to get back into diving. Went to Cozumel for 10 days back in August, and we just booked 11 days in Playa del Carmen for early Feb.

I am pretty much a warm water vacation diver, but I may expand that over the next few years. Colorado isn't exactly a diving hotbed...although there are a ton of certified divers here. I assume they travel to go diving.

for 2020, I guess I'd use the term "virtual".....

I have 1 dive in this year, COVID cancelling all trips, and local diving falling in the range of "difficult if not impossible to coordinate" to "illegal"....

2020:
--Completed DM program in January. Starting to get more paid gigs.

--105 dives so far for the year. Most local.

--Early in the COVID era, before we had a clue as to the severity or duration of the pandemic, we booked a November trip to Roatan. All summer and early fall, we expected either the hotel or the airline to cancel. Neither did. So we went--arriving a few days after Hurricane Eta and staying through Hurricane Iota. We were the only guests at our small, non-diving-resort hotel out on the east end, and I was the only customer of the dive shop that sent a boat over for me each day that conditions permitted. We experienced more isolation than we could have achieved at home; it was wonderful.

2021:
--IDC in January.

--Antigua in late-April/early May. First week at a hotel, second week on one of those timeshare-like catamarans. Limited diving opportunities both weeks. Booked the boat long ago. Hopeful vaccine will be available and travel feasible, but not confident enough to buy plane tickets yet.

for 2020, I guess I'd use the term "virtual".....

I have 1 dive in this year, COVID cancelling all trips, and local diving falling in the range of "difficult if not impossible to coordinate" to "illegal"....
Does the "illegal" mean normal Provincial laws or closures due to Covid? I did one dive from a beach here in NS early Summer not knowing "beaches" were in fact closed and could've been a $700 fine. Couple of beach goers there as well. Most diving here isn't really from "public beaches", but from roadside pulloffs. Those weren't illegal at that time.

The US registered boat, shadowing divers, was drifting in Canadian waters and was boarded by the RCMP who informed those on board the US vessel that as the border is closed, and the presence in Canada will result is seizure of the vessel, and arrest if it was seen again until the PM changes the border closure...

The US registered boat, shadowing divers, was drifting in Canadian waters and was boarded by the RCMP who informed those on board the US vessel that as the border is closed, and the presence in Canada will result is seizure of the vessel, and arrest if it was seen again until the PM changes the border closure...
Man that's brutal, as a Canadian I think it was unnecessary and ignorant given the circumstances.

1989-2000: Divemastered classes... Gave that up and am now just a vacay diver, doing 30-40 dives per year.

The only freshwater dives I do now is to help my waterski club with their slalom course, and thats more than enough fresh water, 0 visibility, cold water diving for me now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom