what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man that's brutal, as a Canadian I think it was unnecessary and ignorant given the circumstances.
Are the rules different during Covid regarding whether boats can cross the border in the St Lawrence? If no closed border can any boat go anywhere in the river as long as they don't land in the other country?

Are the rules different during Covid regarding whether boats can cross the border in the St Lawrence? If no closed border can any boat go anywhere in the river as long as they don't land in the other country?
I think it depends on what the people in the boat are doing. I have friends who fish (recreationally) in Lake Ontario. If they get too close to the middle of the lake, it is not uncommon for them to get a visit from a DHS boat with a "friendly reminder" that if they don't have a NY State fishing license, they need to stay in Canadian waters.

Being in the United Arab Emirates, we can dive year round and most nice locations aren't far by air travel.
Virtually year-round diving because summers are thirty five Celsius (ninety five Fahrenheit) and winters are a cold twenty three Celsius (seventy three Fahrenheit).

Learned to dive fifteen years ago.

Always liked to think like a dive guide. Helps me, helps others.

Dived about 350 dives over five years or so.

Stopped for logistical/other reasons.

Got back into diving about two years ago and since then have about one hundred and fifty dives.

I also lost fifty kilograms over the last four years. A BMI of 20'ish. Not super fit but I look healthy lol.

I also heavily got into exploring for macro/muck creatures.
My dives cover less mileage than most but I think I "see" more than others.

I noticed some people mentioned diving colder quarries in this thread. How cold can one comfortable dive in a wetsuit - 50 degree water seems awfully cold to not have a dry suit, but people seem to do it.

P.S. Sorry for the nube question - I'm new to the sport!

I noticed some people mentioned diving colder quarries in this thread. How cold can one comfortable dive in a wetsuit - 50 degree water seems awfully cold to not have a dry suit, but people seem to do it.

Depends on your cold tolerance. I’ve done down to low 40s in a good 7mm and some added layers on Lake Huron and Lake Michigan a few years back.

If you’re asking about Gilboa, it gets cold. Friends were diving there today and it was low 40s. But they dive dry. I’ll dive all winter but I dive dry.

When we first moved here from Northern Manitoba (3+ winter months of -20 to -30F), diving wet in 50F water was a breeze. Now, after 16 years here, I can chill in 60F water. Your body adjusts to your locale over time. The change for me was very gradual.
Over those years, when snowbirding on the FL panhandle in Winter some of the locals in the shop thought I was nuts. In fact the first time I ever saw a drysuit was down there. "What's that"? "A drysuit". "Why"?

Great Lakes cold water diver. Occasionally warm water but the last time that happened was in Bonaire 5 years ago.

I'm almost exclusively a drysuit diver, but judging from those I've dived with, the real problem isn't the dive itself. The SI, OTOH...

I am a year-round gear collecting tinkering diver.

I don't really do dive vacations, But dive atleast once a week. My yearly dives are usually around 60 + - .

I am one of those guys that's more interested in the gear than the diving. I have around 30 regulators, 4 wings, 2 sets of doubles, multiple singles, stage tank, fenzy's, masterjackets, 3 thicknesses of wetsuits, 4 types of drygloves cause every time I see a new type of marigold or showa I NEED to try them. Hell, I even have an air 2 ii've never touched.

My first sidemount dives were done with my 50 cuft alu stages and an age old fenzy in a wetsuit. If the bladder hadn't delaminated I still might be doing it.

Now I run the classical 12l light steels with the xdeep.

I never actually dove jacket bcd's since my mother gifted me a wing and doubles when I started. So i've been having this weird thing that I might want to try a jacket bcd, just cause you know... Why not...I also bought an ots guardian on ebay yesterday...why? No idea, just to see how it dives I guess.

I am also a devout member of the church of 'scubapro mk5'. I get funny looks for diving them, but totally love them over my apeks dst xtx50, or aqualung legendz

If I were a decadent billionaire I would probably kidnap Andrew Göring from Sump UK and force him to make hardware, wings, tritons and everything that springs to mind.

TLDR: what kind of diver am I?

An obsessed diver that would love to dive every possible reg and configuration ever made. From a siebe gormann to ots to normal masks, from jetfins to tusa split fins, from fenzy's to bondage wings to dir donuts, from apeks mtxr to royal aquamasters, from dräger dolphins to habanero's or liberty sidemounts....

I'm Game!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom