What is your usual local dive visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
I realize that everyone's "local" diving conditions may be quite varied and diverse from each other's -

So I was wondering . . . just for curiosity purposes only . . . what would you consider "great" visibility, "good" visibility and "poor" visibility in your local dives as far as distance? Also, what type of diving do you primarily do - i.e. freshwater (quarries, lakes, springs, etc.) or in the ocean?

For me, in my limited experience, right now I have only done diving in the ocean.

Great visibility would be 70 ft +.
Good/average would be 50 - 60 ft.
Poor/I feel uncomfortable visibility is 15 feet and below.

I suppose the more experience I get, this could change - at least as far as the "poor" consideration.

In the particular holes and lakes I usually dive in, I'd break it down as:

GREAT vis = 40+ft
GOOD vis = 20ft
POOR vis = <5ft

Probably more poor days, than good or great for my particular spots.

But there are much better dive sites in the area wher the vis is mostly GOOD to GREAT.

About half of my dives each year are done in local lakes and quarries. You're rating system would vary a bit with each one but basically....

Great visibility - 15ft
Good - 6 to 8ft with an average of about 4 to 5ft
Poor - less than 2ft

The other half is in salt water.

Great visibility - 100+ ft
Good - 70+ ft
Poor - less than 40ft

My "local dives" the best vis (on a real good day)15-20'. Average day is about 10-15', and poor day would be 5' or less. I'm diving in Lake Superior mainly, and I don't expect things to change much unless a lot more zebra mussels make the journey north!

Scott

I mostly beach dive in Laguna Beach, CA and would rank it in the following order here:
great 25+
good 15+
Poor below 5 feet.
The best diving seems to be October to April here in terms of Viz but not in terms of warmth. Lots to see and a great place to dive. Getting through the surf varies widely with the location

the viz at the local lakes has been from COMPLETE BLACK to about 15 feet I heard once 30 feet..

on a average it is about 5 feet

Hmmm....for the Texas quarrys and lakes I dive.....

Excellent: 25-35 feet
Good: Hey! I can see my hand!
Poor: What vis? I thought this was diving by braille

The spring dives around here in my neck of the woods in Florida varies. Some springs can be, "GIN," clear, but let the rivers go up and the vis drops to 0. The winter time offers the best vis in the slower springs. The summer can get some algae bloom making the vis poor in the shallower depths. As far as the gulf it can be 2 on a bad day to 50+ on an excellent day.

Back
Top Bottom