What is your usual local dive visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

off the beaches it ranges from:

5' on a bad day
15' average
40+ on a great day

Diving in the canyon is much better, vis is better because of the water depth. I waould say it averages 30-40', best i seen it was about 60'.

TMD

In the great lakes thanks to our little friends the Zebra mussels visiblity in lake erie has improved by 70%!!!!:D :

We will get any where between 40 to 125 ft. depending on day and weather conditions for wreck divng.

Thwe lower St. Lawrence river and Kingston has some stunning vis 100 ft or more.

The Niagara river ( the river that poors over NIAGARA FALLS) we can get 12 to 14 knott currents under the peace bridge it is the bridge that connects Buffalo NY to Ft. Erie Canada. Here we can an amazing 3 to 75 ft depends on wind and rain...

We are happy to get 15 to 20 feet on shore dives:D

NINJA:ninja:

Originally posted by ninja

The Niagara river ( the river that poors over NIAGARA FALLS) we can get 12 to 14 knott currents under the peace bridge it is the bridge that connects Buffalo NY to Ft. Erie Canada. Here we can an amazing 3 to 75 ft depends on wind and rain...

Ninja...
Does the viz deteriorate appreciably as you go over the falls???

I have seen the very rare 80+ foot viz ...

Normal viz is 20~30...

Poor vis is <10 if there has been an attack of rototillers...

A normal occurance at some of the sites I dive is for viz to be inches in the first 10 fsw from the plantonic mass and then open up greatly once below 15fsw but dark....

Below 100fsw it gets very dark even during the day...

Hey Uncle Pug...

to dark man i've had night mares about it:D

Thank god it is 35km to niagara falls from buffalo...:)

Although i could probably make it in doubles:D

Great visability is when I can see something before I can touch it.
Good visability is when I can see something.
Poor visability is when I can't see anything but there is enough light to let my eyes try to see. This causes nasty headaches.

Most of my diving these days is inside drainage pipes with no light and no visability so everything is done by feel.

Originally posted by chepar
Wow Fishkiller- Is your mask fitted for Xray vision? :D

BTW, welcome to the board akajack!

It has it's moments of great fun

True that diving in low viz conditions does make one every good at navigation or really gives you a desire to have great navigation skills, (long funny story) that way when one does dive in real nice conditons you never stray far from the boat as there becomes so much more avaiable to see.

I gotta go with this for the NJ shore/inlet diving:

less than 2 - Poor
3-7 - Average
8-20 - Good
20+ Amazing

The diveboats going off shore I normaly see 10-30.
Sometimes up to 50 or so.

Well, I can see all the way to the bottom of the bathtub! And the water is nice and warm!

hummm ide have to say that in the channels i dive in the vis is

great 15 to 20
average 4 to 10
poor = is that my hand ?

but the open water of the atlantic the vis in Nova Scotia goes from
great 100+
average 20 +
poor = is that your flipper ?
but dont let the VIS stop you or slow ya down !
go buy a white cane is that will help :)

Back
Top Bottom