What is your usual local dive visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

super vis = 80' +, winter
good vis = 40-60' late spring early fall
fair vis = 15 - 25' early summer
poor vis = 5 - 10' mid summer
Do I really want to be here vis 6" to 2' usually mid summer for about 3 to 4 weeks caused by the algee bloom.

hope this helps.:wink:

In New England 15 to 20 feet is good. In the winter time you can get some 30+ feet of vis, but in the heat of summer your lucky to get 10 feet. …………………….Arduous

Now I'm lucky enough to be diving in Japan poor viz seems to be below 10m - guess it makes up for the cost of it our here.....

Jonathan

Outside the harbor normally 100+ but it goes down to 80ft or so when a storm system/typhoon has been in the area (even in the philiapeans)

Inside the harbor is usually 80-50ft, but is more affected by the winds from the south.

Worst vis...15ft in the harbor.

River mouths are a different story. Did a dive in a GREAT place during the dry season. Vis was 5 ft until we got past the cut...then it was about 60ft. I did the same dive during the rainy season....and it never cleared up. I got VERY good at dodging coral heads...but it was probably the most interesting dive I have ever done. Luckily, it was a lead dive, and the person ahead of me had yellow fins on, so I didn't get lost (left my compass at home) But, it was kind of cool, seeing fish appear right in front of my eyes. I actually enjoyed it...but wouldn't want to do it everyday.

The Red-Sea, gulf of Eilat, will probably be aroud 35'-40', unless something unusual happend.

Med is a different story alltogether. I had dives of 3' or less and this Saturday I had a dive of over 50'. So it really depends.

Ari :D

Springs;good 100'+,bad 15'.Offshore;good 100'+,normal 40'-50',bad 10',fish instead 1' or less.Fossil diving good 18",bad 6"

Lakes in the Twin Cities area MN...
Great: 20 ft
Good: 10 ft
Bad: 3 ft

Fort Ross/Santa Cruz, California
Peaks at 60' (as far as I am aware)
30+ is amazing
15-30 is good
8-15 is average
0-8 is poor

Monterey/Carmel, California
Peaks at 100' (very few days every year)
50+ is excellent
31-50 is good
12-30 is average
6-12 is poor
Usually not less than six

Generally, vis around the Victoria area was around 10-20 feet for the last few months. Not bad (not as good as many of your areas, though). However, for the past week, Saanich Inlet has had great visibility (40-50 feet yesterday). Ogden point, on the other hand, had worse visibility than normal. Visibility should improve during the winter, though, as algae and kelp die off temporarily.

Regardless of the vis, Vancouver Island water still probably has more marine life than most other areas (other than the Red Sea).

Normal 15-26'
Good 26'-40'
Excellent >40'

Poor 5-15'
Bad <5'

Quarries, lakes & the baltic

Back
Top Bottom