What is your Scuba-Mobile?

What vehicle do you drive to your Scuba Activities?

• Pickup Truck (both full size and small)

Votes: 92 27.2%
  • SUV (Explorer, Suburban, Tahoe, etc)

Votes: 90 26.6%
  • Car (2 or 4 door)

Votes: 107 31.7%
  • Motorcycle

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I just stand by the road in my Wetsuit and hitchike

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • Mini-Van

Votes: 21 6.2%
  • Full Size Van

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Wagon

Votes: 11 3.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by art.chick
As long as we're talkin' cars, has anyone come up with a way to prevent the salt water from rusting their scuba-mobiles?;-0

I've seen a lot of people use plastic tubs and throw all their gear directly into the tub. Since a tub doesn't fit into my car, I have my trunk lined with plastic and use an old blanket on the ground. I drop everything onto my blanket and put it in the trunk on top of the plastic. At home I can throw the blanket in the laundry and hose off the plastic.

But I think Rexafarian has the right idea - don't take your brand new car/truck to your next dive! (that's also what buddies are for!!)

Go to a chandlery (boat store) and get a can of marine epoxy paint. Pull up the upholstery from the part you're concerned about (the trunk, for example), clean the surface underneath (if you want... it really doesn't matter with epoxy paint) and give it a nice, thick coating. Make sure you let it dry thoroughly before putting the upholstery back, and air it out after putting wet stuff in.

If you pressure clean the underbody, a liberal application of rubberized undercoating (available from most auto parts stores) will help keep the salt from rusting the frame, etc.

Those of you who live in New England might want to consider doing that anyhow, as road salt (for snow removal) is just as bad as sea salt.

Originally posted by art.chick
As long as we're talkin' cars, has anyone come up with a way to prevent the salt water from rusting their scuba-mobiles?;-0

Msilvia, Rax & Doll,
Those are great answers. My poor little Toyota Tercel (82) has put up with a lot from me, but he's a fine little Scuba-bug & I don't have the $$$ to replace him right now, so those suggestions will be employed, esp. the epoxy!

After not using my 4X4 quite as much as i thought i needed it at the time,I decided to change trucks

2002 Ford BOSS 5.4 with stages 1,2,3, and 4 included, this truck will definitely turn heads!!

www.boss54.com

After not using my 4X4 quite as much as i thought i needed it at the time,I decided to change trucks

2002 Ford BOSS 5.4 with stages 1,2,3, and 4 included, this truck will definitely turn heads!!

When I found out we were leaving Germany for Guam, I sold our '98 Eagle Talon TSi turbo and bought a new Toyota RAV4 so I'd have something to carry my dive gear in!! I miss the sporty car, but we're better off without it here.....the roads suck, the max speed limit on Guam is 45mph, the roads suck, and oh yeah, the roads really suck!

Cheers!

1. Audi A4 turbo quattro with a few performance modifications. Great car but usless for more than one diver and doesnt really take all that well to wet gear.

2. Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4. Perfect for diving.

Hopefully sometime soon:
Pursuit 2670 Denali fully outfitted for diving

~Marlinspike

My current scuba-mobile is my 96 Chevy Impala SS. I transport my gear bag inside a 32 gallon plastic tote that fits nicely in the trunk. One tank goes on either side. Very nice vehicle to cruise the 100 miles between Melbourne and West Palm. However, I'm looking forward to the day when I can retire the SS and get that Toyota Pre-Runner extended cab.

:mrcool:

Currently in withdrawal after selling my '92 F-150 Supercab Shortbox. The truck was awesome for hauling dive gear, especially multiple sets of tanks.

The job now falls to a '91 Tracker soft-top. Great for two divers, easy on gas, and 4X4 for those "improved" roads we keep running into.

:auto:

I really like the idea of standing in the road in my wetsuit and catching a ride :wink: but I figure driving my car ensures me of a ride...

astrl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom