What is your highest certification?

Your highest certification

• OW

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • AOW

Votes: 60 21.4%
  • Rescue

Votes: 67 23.8%
  • MSD (have card, not only meeting requirements)

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DM

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • DM, MSD obtained after

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • DM, MSD obtained before

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Instructor

Votes: 27 9.6%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained after

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained before

Votes: 21 7.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talk to the instructor, if nothing else it would be worth it for her to take the class regardless of certification. There is a lot more to the class than dragging someone out of the water. A clear head directing a rescue, at times, is more important than physical strength.
Bob

I agree 100%. When I did my Rescue a few years ago, there were 3 other guys in the class. Two Marines about 160 lbs each and some guy whose daddy owned a commercial fishing boat and wanted son to be rescue certified. Son was about 325 lbs and looked like half a ton of chewed bubble gum.

First thing that popped into my mind was, "Oh geez. Don't let me get partnered with this guy." Sure nuff, guess who I got buddied with.

Anyway, when it came time to drag him out of the water and onto shore in the scenario, the waves washed the sand out from under my feet and I fell into the surf about 20 inches of water....with son falling on top of me. He damned near drowned me before I could wiggle out from under him.

Since then I help with the rescue class by being the diver the student has to drag out of the water. We get a skinny 90 lbs girl every now and then.

To be honest, Rescue isn't a strong-man contest. None of the 95 lbs chicks have ever failed the Rescue course because they couldn't throw me on their back and fireman carry me off the beach.

It's just a fact of life. You ain't always gonna be the leanest meanest strongest guy on the boat, and it's not always gonna be the 120 lbs guy that needs rescuing.

I dive often with a friend whose a doctor. He weighs about 300 lbs and is very out of shape. He has to take his BCD off and his suspender weight belt because he can't get back on the boat with them on. All the rescue diver training in the world won't enable me to haul this guy over the stern if he's in distress. Just ain't gonna happen.

If she can't throw him on her shoulder and drag him out, then she can do rescue breaths or chest compressions or stop the bleeding or treat for shock or stay on the phone/radio with the coast guard.

Decided to vote after all.

As a BSAC Advanced Instructor I can teach the full range of certification courses, that include:
* Navigation
* Rescue (AS & CBL plus landing etc.)
* SMB & DSMB
* Shot recovery
* Basic line-laying
* O2 Administration
* Dive planning
* Nitrox
* Expedition planning (multiple days in remote locations)
* Dive leading
* Boat handling & Diver Cox’en Assessor
* Compressor operator
* Buoyancy & Trim

And any others I’ve missed.

I certify that I am the most best-est diver in the entire Universe.

You and a bunch of divers I've run into. Now I wonder if there were disguises involved, or imposters.

Bob

Oh, they were most definitely imposters, involved with disguises.... and other devious means.

I certify that I am the most best-est diver in the entire Universe.

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night.

Back
Top Bottom