What is your highest certification?

Your highest certification

• OW

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • AOW

Votes: 60 21.4%
  • Rescue

Votes: 67 23.8%
  • MSD (have card, not only meeting requirements)

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DM

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • DM, MSD obtained after

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • DM, MSD obtained before

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Instructor

Votes: 27 9.6%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained after

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained before

Votes: 21 7.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob DBF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This posted before I was done, already reported, please stand by.

This poll is to give some numbers to Percentage of divers who go beyond openwater? . In addition, the numerous DM MSD choices are made to address another question that came up in discussion. I put this in advanced for a more lively discussion, should it be needed.

I don't get into the advanced rec specialties, also known as tech.

Bob

I voted AOW because I haven’t done Rescue yet but AOW will not be my highest certification, if everything goes as I intend to.

If you are going to be any more than a holiday diver - I'd like to see most take thru stress and rescue so that more divers are aware of stress signs and have the ability to help out somewhat in a difficult situation. My wife could never complete the class though due to physical requirements - she has a bad back and could never get someone up a ladder or over the pool edge.

For me certification level is secondary to experience some use the cert to pound on their chest. I think the minimum number of dives for certain certifications "DM and Instructor" are to low and if you hit the levels with the minimum numbers of dives you don't have much real world experience because all your diving has been in a class environment with an instructor. Just my 2 cents.

For me certification level is secondary to experience some use the cert to pound on their chest.

Although I agree, the poll was to give some numbers to another thread and give an idea of the MSD/DM ratio that came up during the thread.

As for certs being secondary to experience, I'm a bit prejudiced about that as I spent 17 years diving without a cert, some of which are now considered tech. It was about the same amount of time until I got my AOW. I did a Sonoma Count Dive Rescue Workshop, an offshoot of the LA county one, and Nitrox inbetween. That being said, I've seen some divers with a lot of experience I wouldn't buddy up with on a bet.

My wife could never complete the class though due to physical requirements - she has a bad back and could never get someone up a ladder or over the pool edge.

Talk to the instructor, if nothing else it would be worth it for her to take the class regardless of certification. There is a lot more to the class than dragging someone out of the water. A clear head directing a rescue, at times, is more important than physical strength.

Bob

Master Scuba Diver - certification came after I had finished my Divemaster program.

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom