What is your highest certification?

Your highest certification

• OW

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • AOW

Votes: 60 21.4%
  • Rescue

Votes: 67 23.8%
  • MSD (have card, not only meeting requirements)

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DM

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • DM, MSD obtained after

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • DM, MSD obtained before

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Instructor

Votes: 27 9.6%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained after

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained before

Votes: 21 7.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You missed photographers.

That's a whole new thread completely.
And a pretty broad brush.

I've dived with photographers whom I don't want to dive with again.
I've dived with photographers whom I'd enjoy diving with again.
I've dived with non-photographers whom I don't want to dive with again.
I've dived with non-photographers whom I'd enjoy diving with again.

It's all about the diver's attitude. No matter whether they carry a camera or not.

I was interested in information about MSD which prompted the thread. Since I was solo diving before I was OW certified, the solo specialty cert holds little interest for me anyway.

Bob

Maybe you're not interested, but it's becomming more and more prevelant and does require (for the card) a lot more experience and training - speaking specifically about the SDI route. It should be included in any survey asking for highest certification. I'm not the least interested in any of the Dive Master, Instructer, or rescue certs. Does that mean that they could be eliminated from a survey asking for highest cert. I think not.

Maybe you're not interested, but it's becomming more and more prevelant and does require (for the card) a lot more experience and training - speaking specifically about the SDI route.
PADI Self-Reliant is essentially the same course as SDI Solo.

I don't consider Master Diver, DM or training certs to be higher as they don't often reflect any increase in skill or experience in anything other than in mostly static environments. Even tech certs are often more classroom and book knowledge until the diver actually starts diving in that specialty. At least many tech certs require a few more dives and experience before you can take the classes. Been diving with to many OW divers with 5- 10k or even more dives who are far more accomplished divers than most of the DMs and instructors I've had to dive with who dives were mostly in pools and shallow with very little task loading.

Been diving with to many OW divers with 5- 10k or even more dives who are far more accomplished divers than most of the DMs and instructors I've had to dive with who dives were mostly in pools and shallow with very little task loading.
Do you think it is possible that the number of dives has perhaps given your dive buddies more experience than a DM/Instructor with far fewer dives? Have you ever dived with a DM/Instructor who had many thousand dives? I fail to see why you hate certifications beyond AOW so much. Perhaps you've never tried it?

You don't know many GUE divers, do you?
Yes, lots. I'm a GUE qualified diver, a GUE member and regularly dive with other GUE members.

GUE Divers pay attention to things like certification levels because you wouldn't take a diver who has only passed GUE-F on a T2 level dive.

If you're diving with GUE divers and they are taking people on dives beyond their certification levels then that is a breach of GUE standards.

Yes, lots. I'm a GUE qualified diver, a GUE member and regularly dive with other GUE members.

GUE Divers pay attention to things like certification levels because you wouldn't take a diver who has only passed GUE-F on a T2 level dive.

If you're diving with GUE divers and they are taking people on dives beyond their certification levels then that is a breach of GUE standards.

Ah, gotcha. I misread your tone then. My bad!

Somewhat like sticking a non solo certified diver with a muppet insta-buddy or self-involved photographic obsessive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom