what is your favorite cold water wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew1

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so i have been diving for a while, and I wanted to get a wetsuit. Remember, I live in New Jersey so it has to be a 7 mil. I have used the Henderson Hyperstretch and i liked it, but I wanted to know, what is your favorite cold water wetsuit and why?
Thanks,
Drew​

My favorite cold water wetsuit is a dry suit!:D

jonahfab:
My favorite cold water wetsuit is a dry suit!:D

I wish i had that option, but I don't. Not enough money at the moment. But i do wish I can be nice and toasty.:14:

Drew1:
I wish i had that option, but I don't. Not enough money at the moment. But i do wish I can be nice and toasty.:14:

Drew,

You would be pleasantly surprised at the cost of some drysuits; not so much more than a decent, well fitting wetsuit. And that's the brand new ones !!! Sometimes you can locate a used, perfectly useful, drysuit for even less $$$.

G_M

Drew1:

Well if you are sure about your size, there is always the online retailers or ebay. Drysuits can be had on ebay for less than $400. My buddy picked up an immaculate Viking with undergarment for that much.

I have only one cold water wetsuit, that I can comment on. This is a Parkway 7mm one piece with intergral hood. I like it because it works well (it's a good fit so circulation is minimal). The integral hood in particular, keeps in a lot of heat and reduces the number of joints/openings. Plus it was relatively low cost.

I'm not convinced that there is a huge amount of difference in performance between big brand name suits and ones like the Parkway. To me the thickness and fit are more important. Also the more stretchy the suit is, the more it will tend to compress at depth and hence the colder it will be. That's why I was somewhat suspicious of suits that claimed to be "very" flexible.

bradshsi:
Well if you are sure about your size, there is always the online retailers or ebay. Drysuits can be had on ebay for less than $400. My buddy picked up an immaculate Viking with undergarment for that much.

I have only one cold water wetsuit, that I can comment on. This is a Parkway 7mm one piece with intergral hood. I like it because it works well (it's a good fit so circulation is minimal). The integral hood in particular, keeps in a lot of heat and reduces the number of joints/openings. Plus it was relatively low cost.

I'm not convinced that there is a huge amount of difference in performance between big brand name suits and ones like the Parkway. To me the thickness and fit are more important. Also the more stretchy the suit is, the more it will tend to compress at depth and hence the colder it will be. That's why I was somewhat suspicious of suits that claimed to be "very" flexible.
thanks for your input. I had no clue that the more flexible wetsuits compressed more at depth.
thanks for the info,
Drew

I'm very happy with my tri-density polar XCel! I use it in 50-60 degree water.

It's a hooded 9/7/6mm wetsuit.

I really dig my 7mm Hyperstretch. I had a lot of trouble finding one that minimized water flow. The step in is hyperstretch while the john is old scubapro. It made the whole combo cheaper to get the cheaper john but nicer step in.

I used a Bare 7mm. Arctic fullsuit and a Bare 7mm. semi dry hooded vest before I got my Bare drysuit. I have wore it in 42 degree water. Still use the 7mm. suit a fair bit

Henderson 7 mil semi dry works well down to about 50 - but you gotta try it on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom