What is your efficient way to stow your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason McK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a very inefficient way of carrying my gear around and stowing it. I'm looking for ideas on better ways.
Right now I have a small rubbermaid for my lead, Then another for my gloves, hood, knife, computer, and misc. other gadgets. Then a fin case with my mask. Then I have my drysuit bag that holds my undergarments, Dry suit and reg.
That's a lot of stuff to carry from the car to the boat and can become a problem to others on deck.
I'm not looking for Ideas on flying with gear. just to try and compact, with out damaging, my current set up to go from Car to Boat or house to Car.

Thanks
Jason

I keep my backplate, wing, regs, knife and back-up lights set up on my tanks at all times. Almost never take them apart, except to switch tanks. Moving the kit is now as easy as putting my shoulder into one strap and walking the kit from my truck to wherever.

Mask, fins, gages, etc. in one milk crate. Backup stuff, like wetnotes, spool/SMB stays in drysuit pockets all the time.

Mesh Dive bag, and like rick say's keep as much on scuba unit as possible, If the weight is an Issue convert a dolly of some sort. Mesh dive bag folds to nothing.

Happy Diving

For a boat dive I put everything except my BCD into a small non-wheeled duffle bag. The exact packing method doesn't matter, but there is an advantage to doing it the same way each time as this serves as a final check that everything is there. My way is boots in fin pockets, socks in boots, fins on the bottom of the bag with a beanie velcroed to one fin strap, reg set rolled inside the wetsuit, wetsuit on top of fins, camera, mask, and peanut butter jar with save-a-dive kit go in front, along with a small drybag. Defog and moustache grease go in one zippered pocket. Fish ID, cert card, waterproof notebook, dive tables go in another zippered compartment. A very small daypack holds the few items I want to keep dry, like wallet and cellphone.

Once on the boat I'll setup my BCD and other gear. With almost nothing left in the duffle bag it folds up compactly and stows beneath the seat.

For shore dives I assemble everything at the car and walk directly from the car into the ocean. The lead is always in the trunk of my car. The rest of gear I pack the exact same way as for the boat, and then dig it out while gearing up in the parking lot.

After the dives, whether shore or boat, the gear all ends up in two plastic tubs in the back of my car. These are the same tubs I use to wash the gear.

I keep my backplate, wing, regs, knife and back-up lights set up on my tanks at all times.

I've not kept anything set-up on my tanks - that's a great idea. Is it possible to leave the BCD on the tank, or are they better stored hanging up?

You just have to be really careful that you rinse everything thoroughly, because leaving it set up can allow salt water to be trapped and accelerate corrosion. It's more difficult to rinse the inside of a BC when it's set up. Rick dives in fresh water.

I've not kept anything set-up on my tanks - that's a great idea. Is it possible to leave the BCD on the tank, or are they better stored hanging up?
I'm not sure which is "better" for a standard BC, but if it was me, I would have no problem leaving it assembled if I was diving frequently, say, every week or so, and would disassemble it if I was going months between dives (God forbid!). YMMV

EDIT: Oops! Yes, what TSandM said. Salt water - the bc comes off for cleaning. But then, I put it right back on the tank, ready to go.
Rick dives in fresh water.
Don't rub it in. :wink: I do get a few salty dives in now and then. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom