LocLine and GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I acquired some 1/2"LocLine that came in a box of misc. UW photog gear I picked up used and decided to make a GoPro mount BPW. Problem is I underestimated the weight of the GoPro 11 (or strength of the 1/2"LocLine) and it's pretty sad looking; droops pretty bad when I let go. It may work underwater but would rather have something that holds on land too. Has anyone tried the 3/4" LocLine? The idea is to make a flexible mount that attaches to my backplate and extends out parallel with my body over my shoulder but out of the way. If you know of something with more flex strength than the 3/4" LocLine, I'm open for suggestions.

Maybe if I post a picture of what I'm talking about. It's the long knobby bendy tube.
Clipboard01.jpg

It would appear 3/4 is what GoPro uses for their “Jaws” mount so you’re in the right path…entanglement concerns aside.

I'm not as worried about entanglement, they snap apart with a bit of force although that gives cause for concern for potential camera loss... and it may not work like I want it to anyway.

If you go for the pre-made mounts - get the real GoPro stuff - not the knockoffs on Amazon - the knockoffs aren't as 'stiff' and break easily if you try to reconfigure them. And it's not compatible with real LocLine.

On Adam Savage's Tested YouTube channel he's done a couple of episodes on using LocLine to make long flexible arms for Lights and Cameras - he apparently uses some solid aluminum "armature" wire of some sort to stiffen them up. Basically just shove it down the middle opening of the line.

I made some arms from 3/4" Locline to Inon 240Z strobes quite a few years ago but I no longer have them. OK support in the water but not rigid enough above water to support the strobe but they can be wrapped on top of the the housing to carry. I put a piece of fairly stiff white plastic tubing inside them to increase rigidity. Not sure if I bought it at a hardware store or got it from a lab (I was a chemist) but it worked well. You could probably use other material. You also need to put a line inside them in case they come loose. Not something that would be expected, but I had one crack where I had driven a ball mount into it and my strobe dropped to the sidewalk while I was carrying it to the hotel (luckily, it was not damaged). Depending on you end attachments, you may also want to consider drilling a hole in a few to drain water from them as you take them out of the water. They also have a tendency to squeak at times when bending which bothers some divers and can get an occasional comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom