What is your DM worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tx_Jeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was looking up dive charters and I noticed some have their prices listed as $185 +tax & DM gratuity. Seeing how I have never chartered before, how do I calculate the DM gratuity. I understand that if the DM is really helpful I would give a good tip. But I don't want to give way too much or not enough.

This "dive master" thing confused me when i went abroad. Im used to diving as a buddy pair and thats it. I dont really see the need to have someone to follow in a group unless you ask for a guide, i certainly dont want anyone setting my kit up for me so i assume the main role of these people are in instructing or boat crew?

String:
This "dive master" thing confused me when i went abroad. Im used to diving as a buddy pair and thats it. I dont really see the need to have someone to follow in a group unless you ask for a guide, i certainly dont want anyone setting my kit up for me so i assume the main role of these people are in instructing or boat crew?

I think they are there to help you in and out of the water, if needed, and to perform rescue diver tasks if you get caught where you shouldn't be...On the most recent boat trip I was on, a day boat out of Monterey, the rescue diver had to go in and help a couple of guys who ended up 200 yrds away from the boat, with nothing but kelp between them and the boat....

I tip them $5 or so per dive, or 10 percent of the trip cost, if on a liveaboard.

So basically then theyre there to make up for the failings of divers that probably shouldnt be certified (?)

As i said i can see the role of a guide if requested but beyond that im struggling to see a use.

String, from my experience the role of a dm varies from dive to dive and from location to location.

A good dm will know the spots to take divers too that you would not find on a site you hadn't dived before. To give you an example, I could take a diver on most sites when i worked on Koh Tao to show them where a scorpionfish was, rather than they find hem without help and accidentally put their hand on one.. ouch!

Alternatively, I hear time after time of people going to koh tao and not seeing any sharks - chumpon pinnacle for example is a site where if you dive in the right area you are GUARANTEED to see bull and grey reef sharks, but it's a question of knowing where to go.

Other dives might include a series of swim throughs, difficult to find if you dont know the site.

Given that you are an experienced diver I wouldn't suggest that someone like you would need to 'be watched' or told what to do, other divers though need to be, esp if you hve different groups on a dive boat - it can blow a schedule to hell if divers turn up late and mean that other divers miss the 2nd dive in the morning for example.

Greg Jenkins

On a boat I see the dive master as a coordinator of the dive. He/she is there to tell you about the site, what to expect, what to take note of, and what the boats procedures are. Depending on the boats procedures, they are also there to assist you in and out of the water, with the level of assistance depending on the individual. It can range from simply taking your fins while at the ladder to hauling your butt onto the boat. I set up my own equipment but I do note what assistance the DM provides to other divers. My confidence in the DM increases if I see them providing quality assistance to those in need.

If the DM performs in a satisfactory manner I have no problem tipping even if they provided me with minimal personal assistance.

I also prefer to do my dive without a guide unless the DM says he knows exactly where a wolf eel will be. I'd follow a politician to see wolf eels :)

If they are a dive leader I'll tip them 5 bucks a tank. If they are just a safety diver I tip 10% of the fare which will be split among the crew.

I took a half-day dive boat charter in Australia (near Sydney) and buddied up with a great local diver about my (advanced) age. When I asked him, at the end of the dives, about tipping, he replied "That's an American disease. If I liked the boat and the crew, I'll use them again.":)

String:
So basically then theyre there to make up for the failings of divers that probably shouldnt be certified (?)

As i said i can see the role of a guide if requested but beyond that im struggling to see a use.
IMHO, no one, except for the instructor who certified the diver, has a right to say who should, or who shouldn't be certified. People have a tendency to "cram for the test" when they genuinely pursue a goal, which can lend itself to the diver performing to standards, and then forgetting everything. It can also happen out of diver neglect, which isn't, or in the alternative, shouldn't be a reflection on the instructor, but that's a whole other subject.

All that aside, a DM is there to ensure overall safety and fun for the dive group, as well as to spearhead, or perhaps assist in a rescue if required. If the DM does not lead the dive, but merely assists on the boat, and contingent upon diver satisfaction, 10 - 15% of the cost of the charter is in order. Otherwise, $5.00 per tank, per diver is a good standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom