what is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverig

New
Reaction score
ad215a0e.jpg

3 in h
2 in w
made of ceramic or some other pottery with a hard coating inside

Found in the Bahamas

It Looks Like It Could Be A Net Weight. The Demensions Are Right ; But I Ve Never Seen One Made Of Stone , Modern Ones Are Lead.how Large Is The Hole In The Center?

That's an old Schaefer beer can that my grandpa cut the top off so he could spit his dip into it....must've fallen off the gunnel 30 odd years ago. Nevermind, it's too small...LOL.

Acually....does the hole go all the way through or is like a cup and sealed on the bottom. Look at the sides closely, is there anywhere that looks like something was broken off...look near the bottom. If it has a base, is there writing or an imprint of some kind...even a symbol perhaps?

-Dan

No the hole dose not go all the way to the other side
its like a cup very heavy wall and tapers down to 1/2 in in the bottom and has a hard coating or glazing inside.

No the hole dose not go all the way to the other side
its like a cup very heavy wall and tapers down to 1/2 in in the bottom and has a hard coating or glazing inside.

Sounds like a cup.

Here's a test: Pour rum into it, fill it up. Drink it. It's deffinitely a cup if your shoes are not soaked in rum.

Sometimes the simplest explanation...

yep it could be but I think theres more to it than that.

Some that have seen it think it might be a mortar and pestle.

keep the ideas coming.

The glazing on the inside suggests that the item might have been a vessel used for drinking........a baked and glazed clay version of a shot glass perhaps.

Good luck.

Ottawa Diver

I've asked Fizz about this and he and I both think it's a bottle cap. There were made and used wax to sealed them the bottle. I've forwarded the picture on to Fizz to take a closer look.

Good Diving/Hunting,

It Looks Like It Could Be A Net Weight. The Demensions Are Right ; But I Ve Never Seen One Made Of Stone , Modern Ones Are Lead.how Large Is The Hole In The Center?

A thimble for a big ole thumb..........

It looks like a cermic crucible used in the processing of ore. Given it's small size, it would be used for smelting a precious metal such as gold. Was there any mining activity near the location where it was found? Since mercury may have been used in the process, I wouldn't recommend drinking from it.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom