What is this with 'padi'? Reactivate program????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I know about the marketing tool.

I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't asking my rhetorical question about whether certification should expire from the POV of an agency trying to make a sale, but from the perspective of diver safety, reef preservation, etc.
There are a lot of problems with the industry. I think everyone knows where I'd start. It becomes an insurance issue I think for dive ops. Some do checkout dives. If a diver, like the 14 year old girl who was a competitive synchronized swimmer I trained years ago, is a complete natural, they don't skip a beat. Others need to retake OW 2 days after they took it. How do you create a system that isn't onerous for the former but helps the latter?

Apparently it's hard for some people to simply accept that a company put a product on the market with a (registered) name that was chosen with marketing options in mind. As with every company, the goal is to make money. Human factor: others being more successful may lead to envy, jealousy and bashing.

ReActive® dates back to 2014 and replaced Scuba Review.

Yeah, cuz deceptive marketing is so much more admirable than providing a quality product. 🙄

And what's wrong with that?

Why should a certification,..., be granted for life?
If you call PADI and ask if your certification is expired, they will tell you it's not.

Whether certifications should be "deactivated" is a wildly different topic.
Probably called Reactivate to insinuate that it has been deactivated, and trick you into paying for the full course all over again.
Exactly, you only "reactivate" something that has been "deactivated."

"I wanted to reactivate my Netflix subscription"
"Sir, we see your account is currently activate, and you're subscribed to our standard package, would you like to upgrade?"
"No, I just wanted to reactivate my subscription!"
"Is there a problem with your netflix account? I can forward your call to our support department."
"No, it's working fine, can you reactivate my subscription?"

Exactly, you only "reactivate" something that has been "deactivated."
The "something" is your skills (and probably comfort in the water), not your certification.
No matter how many times you say Reactivate means the card, it doesn't make it true.

PADI Dalek - Reactivate....Reactivate

320px-Renegade_Dalek_%2810634715363%29.jpg

Makes more sense now.

I think I will find the same with my padi certs, haven't looked as it is not important for me. But I dive 200-250 times a year, but padi don't know. So it sounds like a commercial thing, and that are things I don't like. They should do a button at the bottom to refresh or re active, not like this then. It looks now like it is required.
But there is no need to do, only sometimes advicable, but also allowed to refresh with a buddy as you are already certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom