What is this with 'padi'? Reactivate program????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Out of curiosity I was looking up my sons padi certs, just to make sure they are there where I can't locate his nitrox card. And I ran across this....is this a real thing?

1662919477037.png

This should be called a Refresher Course rather than a Reactivate Course.

PADI has a page on it. From that page:

"Have you found yourself out of the water for a while? No matter how rusty you feel, you can always get back into the groove and explore the depths of your favourite dive spots while staying safe and having fun. PADI ReActivate is ready to help you do just that!

It’s always better to be over-prepared than to forget how to properly and safely complete a dive. With the PADI ReActivate scuba refresher program, you can quickly brush up on entry-level knowledge and skills without having to start from scratch.

What is PADI ReActivate?​

PADI ReActivate is a fully personalised and prescriptive scuba refresher program. So, you’ll only have to cover the areas where your skills and knowledge need refreshing. Move quickly through topics you know well, then dive deeper where your knowledge may have lapsed. You’ll progress at your own pace, with as much (or as little) guidance as needed from a PADI Professional, to restore your mastery of scuba skills."

Not saying that it's a bad idea, but I personally think that it's the term "ReActivate" that's misleading and might cause folks to think that their certifications are no longer "Active". PADI should just call it a Refresher course.

When I log into padi and pull up my certs to get a replacement card I don't see that screen at all. I don't know what platform you are looking it up on (phone vs computer), or if that would even make a difference. My AOW course is only two years newer.

Erik

Out of curiosity I was looking up my sons padi certs, just to make sure they are there where I can't locate his nitrox card. And I ran across this....is this a real thing?

View attachment 743127

It’s simply a refresher class. Pool time with an instructor to brush up on skills when you’ve been out of the water for a good while.

I have to ask: how old is son that you’re unaware and surprised he did a refresher?

It's the student lookup screen, and it seems to show the "ReActivate" button for each certification regardless of what it is or when it was taken. I don't think it means anything, other than you *can* purchase a refresher of it if you like. Although the explanatory text doesn't make it any clearer.

Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 21.32.06.png

For me, after 26 years on the surface, the ReActivate program for AOW made sense. A lot of the teaching has, shall we say, evolved. Less physics and physiology, more practical scenarios and specific knowledge of how to dive with a DC or as a threesome.

The “PADI Club” provides the e-learning portion as an included benefit. Or you can pay $50 to take it. The 2-hour pool session at a LDS is another $150 or so. Once the instructor signs off, PADI will send you a new C-card in the mail. Mine says AOW. Nitrox is a separate cert (of course) and around the same price.

I felt well prepared to dive again after completing the program, and indeed, the return to open water diving was smooth. ReActivate was way less time-intensive than re-enrolling in a complete course, yet effective for me. YMMV.

Many ops will ask you to either “reactivate” with your local shop or with them if you haven’t logged a dive in a year.

Yes, agree with you, this should say 'refresher'. Reactivate makes it appear like the certification is someone EXPIRED.

Yes I was looking at Student lookup section.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom