What is this bad boy doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I need one more....I asked Chepar via pm.

Person has to be a good diver, able to get back on the boat. (except for me)

I want to call onfloat, don't have his number.

Lio kai, you are a wealth of knowledge. enjoyed that post. I think we love to hate COT.....

nice pics.

oh, crap...those weights. I promise to send them home with Vblue, if he will. shoot- bought new replacements and everything. Funerals just mess up your plans.

Jimbo--you better keep an eye on that thing. Stop messin with stuff...so male of you.
sending you a PM

howard4113:
What does this have to do with COT's?
Does every thread in this forum have to digress to a discussion of Catherine's boat or politics or blathering about somebody's heritage?
M
sorry howard.. when i replied last, i seriously thought we were in the "catherine's boat damaged" thread..

but, back on the COT.. because i'd heard some of those "ol' timers" profess how COT are the unwanted "lawn-mowers" of coral reefs.. i too had been duped to, on-occasion, pry them off coral/rock walls so they would drop back to the sand =/

however, most times, i'd just take a picture.. i was oft surprised how scarlet red they'd turn out in the finished photos.. especially if i used a flash. (i was expecting to see the green you notice with the naked eye) i suppose, they must have some sort of reddish blood or something that courses through their papulae (external gills?) that gets picked up by the camera.

howard4113:
What does this have to do with COT's?
OK, how about a thread hijack that is at least COT-related.

The next time you see a COT, a cool thing to do is to see how they can change their skin color very rapidly. Just reach in (carefully) between the thorns and touch the central body lightly. They will rapidly change color, at least right around the point of contact, and sometimes across their whole body.

Perhaps their color-changing ability is somehow related to the reddish color VBlueV sees in flash photos of COTs.

I really and truly freaked out of DM of one of the Maui dive ops by playing with a COT, because he didn't see that I was reaching in with the boltsnap from my light, and he thought I was poking it with my bare finger. I'm sure he had all sorts of visions of medical emergencies going through his mind. :)

I'm curious - the "thorns" on a COT look soft, are they? Do they have "stingers" or is it actually an "impalement" process that "get's ya" ???

Does every thread in this forum have to digress to a discussion of Catherine's boat or politics or blathering about somebody's heritage?
M

well, Howard. No more boat talk since it is so...off-topic. We are a cozy group of friends here in the Hawaii forum and you might try relaxing a bit. Pretty much every one gets along...in fact the most unlikely characters are often best chums. So...don't be so crochety. It is a message board.....we talk, we dive. on boats.

I hear talk of injecting COT with isopropyl...has anyone heard of biologists doing this...and why?

To see a Titan Trumpet consume one is pretty amazing. I could not believe my eyes. I don't see many trumpets any more...

here's jimbo with a trumpet with cot-in-mouth.. (get it.. cotton-mouth, har =)
triton_cot2.jpg

here's the trumpet trying to run from jimbo..
triton_cot3.jpg

catherine96821:
well, Howard. No more boat talk since it is so...off-topic. We are a cozy group of friends here in the Hawaii forum and you might try relaxing a bit. Pretty much every one gets along...in fact the most unlikely characters are often best chums. So...don't be so crochety. It is a message board.....we talk, we dive. on boats.

I will stick up for Howard on this. He started the thread asking about COT's. Just about every subject ends up about your new boat or gets off subject so I don't see a problem with him asking to get back to the subject he started. You can post a new thread and talk boats and what not. I know you put in an answer about COT's, but it was very rude of you to call him crotchety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom