What is this bad boy doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Acanthaster spines contain a blood venom. Perhaps that's what the stuff is.

mrjimboalaska:
... 1 overnight stay in the hospital and lots of drugs, no fun. BUT, my index finger is working again and thumb will somewhat move...
archman:
Acanthaster spines contain a blood venom. Perhaps that's what the stuff is.

"Of particular import, I'd like to stress that these starfishes are toxic to the touch; yes, I mean it: THEY ARE VENOMOUS."

"Acanthasters should be handled only with a net and then only carefully. The spines are sharp and accompanied with a hemolytic (blood-cell splitting) toxin. Be careful! ... you get my point?"

dang jimbo.. maybe you should just make the rule.. no crown-of-thorns on your boat..
is this what they gave you at the ER?:
"Victims exposed: high flow oxygen should be administed and an IV line. Antidotes typically used by many agencies include Amyl Nitrite, Sodium Nitrite, and Sodium Thiosulfate."

Folks in the Indo-Pacific spear 'em with a long barbed pole, kabob-style. Seems to be the safest and most effective manner to remove the things.

here is an even closer look of something similar on a knobby starfish:

P1014570.jpg

LioKai:
First do no harm.
The crown of thorns is not a pest in Hawaii.
I certainly do not agree. I see coral dying at several dive sites with an increased
population of COT....maybe this is due to LESS Trident Trumpets???????

I guess to each their own....

I will say that if you have one drop on you from 3 ft in the air, you are bound to get sick from it.....I had about 45 punctures in my hand.

You can pull them off the coral with your knife into a game bag, put them in a bucket on the boat, then throw them in the trash. That of course IMHO......

Wow Jim!!! I didn't realize you got it that bad!!! like I said on the phone, you're that Captain, I guess we know who and what won't be on your boat any more. Besides, I thought you would have been bit by that metal bar before a COT. Are you gonna be at the clubhouse tonight?

LioKai:
A population boom is when you see several hundred on a patch of reef (10 kick cycles), not 20 or even 30 on an entire dive.
I disagree... I have spoke to many old timers about this, and I was told that it used to be a common occurrence to see 3 or 4 Triton's trumpets on one dive, and a COT only occasionally. Now I see a dozen every dive, and a Triton's trumpet every dozen or so dives. If I do have a rare occurrence and see a trumpet, I'm sure to put it on a COT to watch the slow speed action.

howard4113:
If you look carefully at this pic, you'll see some milky tubules protruding from the upper skin of the beast.

17s.jpg

Oh, THAT. I had to look at lisa's pic to figure out what you were referring to in your original pic, Howard. I thought I just was missing something in the photo.:)

Those "tubules" are just plain old papulae, found on the aboral surface of many starfishes. Used for gas exchange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom