What is this area called?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know someone has told me before (Mark or Charlie maybe?) but what is the area marked in yellow on the photo below called? It's the area where the "Turtle grass" is eaten around a coral head.

Aloha, Tim

turtlegrass.jpg

well you're a big help :wink:

It's named after a person "_____ field" or some such ...

Aloha, Tim

"Halo"? Appropriate for the holiday season.

yep.. i found that too.. but he wanted a "Proper" noun/name =)

NaturalHistoryGuide:
http://www.vifishandwildlife.com/Education/NaturalHistoryGuide/PDF/MarineEcosystems.pdf

"SAND HALO:
At the edge of most coral reefs in the Caribbean, there is a narrow band of coarse-grained carbonate sand, conspicuous in its absence of algae and sea grasses, which occur immediately adjacent to it. Scientists have attributed its presence to several phenomenon including the grazing activities of parrot fishes and the sea urchin, Diadema antillarum, and of refraction of wave energy during the times of high swells. This band is generally sparsely covered, although its coverage by the bluegreen algae, Schizothrix sp., during prolonged periods of calm weather has been observed. The spermatophyte Halophila baillonis frequently serves as a transitional species on the seaward borders of the halo and the offshore algal plain or grass flats. Scattered algae (Halimeda, Caulerpa) are occasionally present. The ichthyofauna is generally limited to several blennies and gobies, jawfishes, and the sand tilefish Malacanthus plumieri. Invertebrates are present as infauna and are generally limited to tube worms and burrowing molluscs."

According to Mike Severn's "Diving Hawaii and Midway", p.167, it's "The Randall Zone" named after John "Jack" Randall, the somewhat famous ichthyologist of Hawaiian fishes.

Thanks Kris, that's the name I was looking for - I just couldn't remember his name.

Mahalo, Tim

P.S. sand halo is still easier to remember though :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom