Lembeh pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I spent about 20 days in Lembeh from late April to mid-May 2024. I am sure it is way more photos than anyone wants to look at (around 330), but there is a link to my photos below. That is a ridiculous number of photos, but it works out to about 6 photos per dive for the 50+ dives I did. If you haven't been to Lembeh, it does give you an idea of what you are likely to see. It still probably represents only about 1 out of every 2 or 3 subjects I took photos of.

I like to go to a place and stay there for a while (especially for remote destinations since it spreads the airfare costs over more diving days), , but 20 days was a little too much. I think 14 days would have been about right, maybe with 5-7 days at one of the other dive destinations in that general area that could be reached by car/boat. I stayed at Lembeh Resort and dove with the on-site dive op. They did a great job. Part of my stay was for a photography course held at the resort so I didn't do any research on the other lodging/dive operators in the area (such as the one run by @Indah )

As with my earlier postings, ignore the "buy now" or whatever it says on the site below--that is some separate business that sells physical prints (my digital photos are available for free, I don't receive any money from someone buying physical prints).

[Lembeh 2024 - CozCharlie]

Charlie 9.jpg

Charlie 3.jpg
Charlie 5.jpg
Charlie 7.jpg
Charlie 2.jpg

Were you in Alex Mustard’s workshop? We were there too—the workshop looked like a great opportunity.

Were you in Alex Mustard’s workshop? We were there too—the workshop looked like a great opportunity.
You are correct. I was there for that but I wasn't trying to emphasize the workshop because most of the participants were way better photographers than me (many of them were award-winning photographers). I also didn't cull my photos like a true photographer trying to build a portfolio. I use my smugmug account as a slideshow on my TV just as so I can see memories and interesting creatures go by, it's not designed to be a collection of only my very best photos.

Really nice images. The blue-ringed with the nudi is unique! We’ll watch them on our TV too. Thanks for posting them.

Wow I feel like we have the same trip plan, first to Anilao, then to Lembeh! You're one month ahead of me at both haha. What's your next trip - could it be Komodo/Tulemban? (I'm there in July haha)

How was Lembeh Resort? I stayed at NAD this time, Bastianos in 2022, and while I had a good time at both there were small things at both that bothered me a bit. I plan on coming back for a week next year also (before or after the Halmahera liveaboard) and was thinking of trying Lembeh Resort... is it worth the price premium? How was the food especially? Do they do blackwater every night? I was only able to do blackwater 2x over a 5 night stay at NAD which was a bit of a bummer (they only need 2 ppl to go but no one else seems to want to go... they were nice enough to let me go once by myself without charging me double).

Great shots! (and yes I did go look at all 300+ photos haha) I really like the snooted coconut octopus and your bright pink pygmy squid. I saw the peacock flounder on blackwater too but mine the body was transparent vs solid white like yours - wonder if yours is a more mature one?And what are those bubbles on it?

What was the workshop like? Did you feel like it made a difference in your before and after photos? I was booked on Alex's wet pixel Lembeh workshop in 2023 but had to cancel because I was pregnant... was told by Adam I could reschedule but never got a refund or credit so that was $5k down the drain... but I do want to take a proper macro photo workshop at some point!

Also curious for your thoughts on Anilao vs Lembeh... for me the blackwater felt much better at Anilao but I have a small sample size of only 2 bw dives at Lembeh vs the 14 I did at Anilao. Lembeh also felt quite a bit quieter this time (at end of May) vs when I went in 2022 (in mid-July). Still saw a lot, but I went 5-10min without finding stuff on some dives this time, vs in Anilao my guide was lining up critters as fast as I could take photos. I felt like I saw just as much if not a bit more on the 60min dives in Anilao than the 80min dives in Lembeh.

Wow I feel like we have the same trip plan, first to Anilao, then to Lembeh! You're one month ahead of me at both haha. What's your next trip - could it be Komodo/Tulemban? (I'm there in July haha)

How was Lembeh Resort? I stayed at NAD this time, Bastianos in 2022, and while I had a good time at both there were small things at both that bothered me a bit. I plan on coming back for a week next year also (before or after the Halmahera liveaboard) and was thinking of trying Lembeh Resort... is it worth the price premium? How was the food especially? Do they do blackwater every night? I was only able to do blackwater 2x over a 5 night stay at NAD which was a bit of a bummer (they only need 2 ppl to go but no one else seems to want to go... they were nice enough to let me go once by myself without charging me double).

Great shots! (and yes I did go look at all 300+ photos haha) I really like the snooted coconut octopus and your bright pink pygmy squid. I saw the peacock flounder on blackwater too but mine the body was transparent vs solid white like yours - wonder if yours is a more mature one?And what are those bubbles on it?

What was the workshop like? Did you feel like it made a difference in your before and after photos? I was booked on Alex's wet pixel Lembeh workshop in 2023 but had to cancel because I was pregnant... was told by Adam I could reschedule but never got a refund or credit so that was $5k down the drain... but I do want to take a proper macro photo workshop at some point!

Also curious for your thoughts on Anilao vs Lembeh... for me the blackwater felt much better at Anilao but I have a small sample size of only 2 bw dives at Lembeh vs the 14 I did at Anilao. Lembeh also felt quite a bit quieter this time (at end of May) vs when I went in 2022 (in mid-July). Still saw a lot, but I went 5-10min without finding stuff on some dives this time, vs in Anilao my guide was lining up critters as fast as I could take photos. I felt like I saw just as much if not a bit more on the 60min dives in Anilao than the 80min dives in Lembeh.

Responses to various questions.
1). Anilao is probably better for Blackwater (we basically whiffed twice at Lembeh but someone else had a nice dive right before I left ). Blackwater is always hit or miss , but consensus seemed to be Anilao was better.
2). Food at Lembeh resort was pretty good , not exceptional but definitely good. I never heard any complaints and I was eating at table of 16 I think. I don’t know much about other resorts so hard to say if it is worth extra money (and I don’t even know how much extra it is )
3). I think Lembeh also required 2 people for blackwater. They probably went out 1 out of every 3 or 4 nights while we were there. Our group was having better photo luck with twilight , night and mandarin fish dives so that was why we didn’t have much blackwater. I think Lembeh Resort can accommodate almost 40 guests so you can probably get another person to do Blackwater around half the time (more if you are getting good photos )
4. My guess is the blackwater flounder probably was maturing and becoming less translucent. I thought at first I had some weird overexposure but the same patch was solid in two different photos from two different angles
5. In terms of Lembeh versus Anilao for macro I would probably say Lembeh was slightly ahead even though it wasn’t peak season. Internet says that is July/Aug (but I have no idea , I thought someone said November was good (believe that is when Alex Lembeh workshop normally is)
6. The workshop was definitely a good thing. Alex is a nice guy and the other participants were friendly . Part of the experience is learning from Alex but you also learn a lot from the other participants. This workshop was packed with people who had been to many other Alex workshops (I think I was the only first timer ). I think the median participant had been to around 5-7 workshops , with some well north of 20. The only negatives are: 1) His workshops often fill up within minutes of being announced so it can be hard get into one and 2) Since Alex and most of the participants are advanced photographers they are also looking for creatively shot images that might impress other photographers and win contests as opposed to just a good photo of an interesting subject (that was more my goal ). I am not knocking their goal —if I had shot an interesting subject 30 times before I would certainly want to do something differently also (I was kind of there on certain subjects by the end of the trip—I had no desire to shoot a frogfish or seahorse in the same way I already had already shot 20 times I fooled around with different things but most didn’t quite work ). Please note that Alex’s curriculum starts on the basics so don’t worry about being left behind there, it is just in photo review some of the other photographers have a pretty high bar and may have different goals than a less experienced photographer like me. Everything was friendly and constructive though.
7). I don’t have any big trips planned until Raja/Triton Bay in January. I am at home in Cozumel now and diving tomorrow though .

I spent about 20 days in Lembeh from late April to mid-May 2024. I am sure it is way more photos than anyone wants to look at (around 330), but there is a link to my photos below. That is a ridiculous number of photos, but it works out to about 6 photos per dive for the 50+ dives I did. If you haven't been to Lembeh, it does give you an idea of what you are likely to see. It still probably represents only about 1 out of every 2 or 3 subjects I took photos of.

I like to go to a place and stay there for a while (especially for remote destinations since it spreads the airfare costs over more diving days), , but 20 days was a little too much. I think 14 days would have been about right, maybe with 5-7 days at one of the other dive destinations in that general area that could be reached by car/boat. I stayed at Lembeh Resort and dove with the on-site dive op. They did a great job. Part of my stay was for a photography course held at the resort so I didn't do any research on the other lodging/dive operators in the area (such as the one run by @Indah )

As with my earlier postings, ignore the "buy now" or whatever it says on the site below--that is some separate business that sells physical prints (my digital photos are available for free, I don't receive any money from someone buying physical prints).

[Lembeh 2024 - CozCharlie]

View attachment 842457
View attachment 842452View attachment 842453View attachment 842455View attachment 842456

Cool Blue-ring octopus, Charlie!

Fantastic shots, thanks for sharing.

I often wonder how well workshops are during the practical sessions as I've been to Crystal Blue in Anilao when Mike Bartek has been running them although I was not a participant and was doing my own thing, not diving with the group.

On my recent Tulamben trip we came across a bunch of divers who were on a workshop run by a S. African photographer.

"How to turn 30m visibility into 5m visibility"

Both @outofofficebrb and I were shocked at the participants inability to dive properly, it was truly appalling, with very poor buoyancy and people kicking all the time.

Fortunately we were at the end of our dive, and managed to do our SI and get back in when they surfaced.

I'm not sure how people vet the participants for these workshops, diving skills is something that is impossible to know until you actually dive with a person, but I'm sure situations like this must happen a lot as more people can afford UW photography these days with lower end cameras and housings.

I'm not knocking workshops, but I would expect some pool sessions with buoyancy skills, use of muck sticks and dealing with current should be included, especially when muck diving.

IIRC when I dived at Lembeh Resort back in 2013/14/15 they had some strict protocols for muck diving, which were followed very well. However what I observed at Tulamben was an absolute shambles resembling what looked like a bunch of OW students with cameras on their first dive.

Rant over :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom