What is the warmest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claplant

Registered
Reaction score
I have a full 3mm, and I wonder wich combination will be the warmest combination: the full 3mm with a 3mm shorty over it, or the full 3mm with a Bare 3mm Thermalskin Hooded Vest under it? Water temp should be in the mid 70's.

For those who wonder what the thermal skin look like, here is a link for the image:
https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=306

I'm asking this because I would prefer not buying a 5mm suit.

Thanx.

Hard to say, possibly with the hooded vest because you lose a lot of heat from your head. If it's possible to wear the vest on top it would probably be better, this would help keep out more water by preventing "scooping" around the neck.

go for the vest, the other will distress your armpits...

claplant:
I have a full 3mm, and I wonder wich combination will be the warmest combination: the full 3mm with a 3mm shorty over it, or the full 3mm with a Bare 3mm Thermalskin Hooded Vest under it? Water temp should be in the mid 70's.

For those who wonder what the thermal skin look like, here is a link for the image:
https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=306

Thanx.

That thermal skin is a beautiful thing, I have the 2004 version. I use it under 3,5, and 7 mm suits.

The vest will cling to your torso and really hold the warmth close and take care of zipper seepage. The integrated hood will close off your neck opening like the shortie cannot.

With the vest you give up the 2x on the groin and upper arms but IMO it's worth it for the neck closure.

Above all you will now be hooded and that's a huge thermal advantage too.

Mid 70s, repetetive diving? You may wish the suit was a 5mm. YMMV

Pete

claplant:
Water temp should be in the mid 70's.

i sport an Xcel Xpedition Tridensity which is 1.5mm to .5mm and the pool I practice and train in is a constistant 72º indoors. That doesn't feel too cold. I'm in Atlanta and always feel colder than everybody else on a normal basis.

Now anything colder I would be in trouble with my wetsuit. It is a bit colder in the air than the pool water.

CineDiver - brr - too cold for my blood - I started with a .5mm suit when our water was 84*... but that only lasted a few months... real shame too as that is still my most comfortable suit... just not warm enough

claplant - I did the 3mil shorty under a full suit for a couple of dives and hated it. I was warm, but uncomfortable. If a 5 mil is not an option I'd go the hooded vest as well... actually I went dry, but that's a whole other issue :wink:

Aloha, Tim

The vest with hood,
I like the hood cause the old brain box is a place to loose some heat! and looks like it will keep your core warm,SWEET!
Dive safe
Brad

Back
Top Bottom