What is the value of a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have changed from a Sci-tech to an Apeks dump. Always seems to need a huge effort to get the Apeks to dump — always dive with the dump fully open. The Sci-tech seemed to be really sensitive and easy to use.

Easy enough to change out, and not expensive. I've dived Apex inflators but never dumps as far as I know (I don't know who OEMs the DUI valves but they dive like Sci-tecs), so I have no basis for comparison.

Have changed from a Sci-tech to an Apeks dump. Always seems to need a huge effort to get the Apeks to dump — always dive with the dump fully open. The Sci-tech seemed to be really sensitive and easy to use.
Were you using the low profile or the high profile valve? I don't notice any difference between my high profile apeks and the sitech argo

I was wondering about getting into drysuit diving, and I was wondering if the drysuit classes offered by most agencies were mandatory for safety or more intended to make the transition to a new piece of gear easier. Your thoughts?
No, not mandatory for safety. I taught myself. I borrowed a friend's suit (a DUI tri-lam) and played in a local quarry while he was teaching an open water class. Of course, I had read whatever I could find about drysuit diving, and had chatted a good bit with him about it, before I zipped into his. (This was ca. 1990, a couple of years before the www as we all know it now, existed. A couple of years before Mosaic.)

rx7diver

Have recently changed my membrane drysuit from one respected manufacturer to another. They are pretty identical in specification.

The new drysuit behaves completely differently from the trusty old drysuit. I really hat the way it dumps: slowly and needs you to virtually turn vertical before it dumps.

Currently going through some buyer's remorse as it’s far harder to control than the old drysuit.

Just need more time to re-learn how it works.
Is the exhaust valve in the same location on both suits or is one more to the front than the other on the arm?

Is the exhaust valve in the same location on both suits or is one more to the front than the other on the arm?
The dump appears to be further down my upper arm, more mid way down than at the top. Am seriously thinking of sending it back to be modified as am not happy. Was hoping that it is just a case of getting used to it but now thinking it is the suit.

Had a serious buoyancy fart on my last dive as it took too long to dump. Ascended 3m/10ft before getting it under control by dumping from the wing and loop — have never had this problem before in hundreds of decompression dives. Was very disconcerting to say the least.

I need to get some photos done of me wearing both suits for comparison and then decide what to do.

I only dove siTech on both my suits, I had the old Argo which worked fine, but the newer Gaute is amazing to use. Dumps so easy, it's effortless. And first time I had to dial the dump down.

I believe you might have a dir positioned drysuit. Which is lower down the arm, near the elbow. IMHO, depending on your type of diving, this can be preferred position. On my older suit the dump was near the shoulder, and sometimes I needed to move it by hand to dump vertically. On the new one, it's near the elbow, and a short elbow raise is enough to dump the air.

I won’t accept the low profile Apex as they’re too slow to dump, even fully open. The old high profile ones are great.
Interesting.

My previous Si-tech is so much more sensitive when dumping.

Annoyingly the Apeks has a larger hole than Si-tech so it cannot be swapped. But I will check!

I believe you might have a dir positioned drysuit. Which is lower down the arm, near the elbow. IMHO, depending on your type of diving, this can be preferred position. On my older suit the dump was near the shoulder, and sometimes I needed to move it by hand to dump vertically. On the new one, it's near the elbow, and a short elbow raise is enough to dump the air.

I do dive with arms forwards and the LH holding the torch. The new suit is very popular with DIR people.

Will compare the two suits this weekend and get some photos to confirm what's going on.

I absolutely do not want a reoccurrence of that buoyancy issue ever again -- it's incredibly dangerous.

The dump appears to be further down my upper arm, more mid way down than at the top. Am seriously thinking of sending it back to be modified as am not happy. Was hoping that it is just a case of getting used to it but now thinking it is the suit.

Had a serious buoyancy fart on my last dive as it took too long to dump. Ascended 3m/10ft before getting it under control by dumping from the wing and loop — have never had this problem before in hundreds of decompression dives. Was very disconcerting to say the least.

I need to get some photos done of me wearing both suits for comparison and then decide what to do.
One of my suits has a different dump position than my regular suit and I’m still working out the best way to use it.

Seaskin allows two different dump positions on its website.

This group of reviews calls out Seac for having a different dump position that necessitated some getting used to. It also has a nice set of photos with good views on how they all sit on the same persons arm.

I won’t accept the low profile Apex as they’re too slow to dump, even fully open. The old high profile ones are great.
Now thats odd. I did exactly the opposite, never got happy with the "high profile" Apeks valve, as I kind of had to squeeze the suit to get it to vent in a reasonable pace. Waited way to long before replacing it since I read so much bad about the low profile one. Have roughly 100 dives on the Apeks Low profile now, and couldn't be happier. No more acrobatics to vent the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom