What is the value of a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on what kind of learner you are.

If you have good buoyancy in a wetsuit, don't have any problems getting your weight dialed in, like to read manuals thoroughly and like to learn skills on your own, you might be able to skip the class.

If you plan on renting a drysuit you may have to show a drysuit cert. You might get by if you show a bunch of dives from your log using a drysuit but that won't be good enough for some shops.

If you are a learner that needs the advice of an instructor to learn new dive techniques and how to care for your drysuit, you will probably get a lot out of taking the class.
As an outsider who's never owned one, all of this makes sense to me. I would GUESS a lot depends on how "comfortable" you are with diving and being in water in general. I would guess it's not rocket science. I will say my first (and only) regular buddy got his drysuit and dived OK without taking the class. He was not a good swimmer at all. I don't know what that says.

Worst course I have done, learnt nothing I couldn’t learn by myself from reading/diving. I did have around 500 dives by the time I dove dry. If you have less dives you may find it useful.

Some operators, like the two continents dive in Iceland, require a drysuit cert before letting you in the water. One of my assistant Advanced Instructors was refused the dive until I provided evidence of them teaching drysuit diving.

I didn’t do a formal course, but did ensure I dove with experienced drysuit divers on easy dives; and practiced getting out of an inversion (feet up) position. In addition I revisited my rescue skills as a drysuit not controlled properly will make you a casualty during a Controlled Buoyant Lift.

Drysuits need some practice. Ascents are the challenge.

Some coaching on how to set the dump (open), swimming around near platforms between 9m/30ft and 3m/10ft will resolve how to adjust the gas injection. Several practice ascents from 20m/60ft to 6m/20ft will help enormously.

All the rest is up to you to go and practice afterwards.

Drysuits need some practice. Ascents are the challenge.

Some coaching on how to set the dump (open), swimming around near platforms between 9m/30ft and 3m/10ft will resolve how to adjust the gas injection. Several practice ascents from 20m/60ft to 6m/20ft will help enormously.

All the rest is up to you to go and practice afterwards.
Feet up was the most difficult for me because speed of action is critical especially challenging for learner or beginner.

Learning to dive dry is the most easy past. The subsequent purchase, accessory, maintenance, repair etc etc is another story(expensive).

Feet up was the most difficult for me because speed of action is critical especially challenging for learner or beginner.
Do it once, learn a lot from that, won't do it again!

Learning to dive dry is the most easy past. The subsequent purchase, accessory, maintenance, repair etc etc is another story(expensive).
Good drysuits are very expensive; way more than any other piece of open circuit kit. It was the first time I've ever been to a tailor to be measured up for a new suit of any description.

They do break too, especially the zips. Need to do constant maintenance on a drysuit -- beeswax for the zips -- and always be very careful when folding so the zip isn't kinked. Mine's hung up in the garage between dives. Drysuit socks are another thing that break but need to be sent back to the makers for replacement.

Having replaceable seals is important for self-maintenance. Kubi gloves or suchlike mean that you can quickly replace the wrist seals. Neck seals are easy to replace if using the Sci-Tech seal.

The suit will need periodically returning to the suit makers for repairs such as leaks/holes, re-taping seams and patching wear-points. My last 5 year "service" wasn't cheap requiring a lot of work with two zips, a dump valve replacement and the cuffs re-made. Had certainly seen some action in that 5 years.

Good drysuits are very expensive; way more than any other piece of open circuit kit. It was the first time I've ever been to a tailor to be measured up for a new suit of any description.

My nice one was close to 5k. Current pricing would be over 5k.

I was actually talking to another instructor yesterday about drysuit class, a lot about how we feel one agency's (the one I know) standards for it are subpar and he doesn't and I won't just teach those standards, but will exceed them.

It's all about the instructor

My nice one was close to 5k. Current pricing would be over 5k.
If I did not venture into tec dive my total outlaid for scuba equipment over last 25 yrs is considerably less than that.
I am glad I am living near to all those nice warm water destinations in SE Asia.

Depends on the diver and their comfort in the water prior to using the drysuit. For some it would make sense, others, waste of time.

I took my Cave 1 with a drysuit, brand new, and I had never used a drysuit ever. My only "lesson" was from a good friend who told me, keep the dump open, keep the suit tight. By the end of the first day I was solid. (although it did cause my Cave 1 instructor some consternation when he learned of my "inexperience" in the art of drysuit diving...)

@myself

Didn’t you talk in another thread about wanting to rent some different drysuits to try them out? In that case, absolutely take the class. I’d be very surprised if a shop in the US rented a drysuit to a diver without a drysuit cert who doesn’t own his own suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom