What is the value of a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same problem right now. I can do a GUE Drysuit Primer with an experienced instructor. Or do I rely on an instructor from another organization who says "I have drysuit experience and I can teach you"? Unfortunately I don't have anyone with experience in my area who can show me how to do it.

I do not understand your prices, I will order a Seaskin Nova, made-to-measure with many options. It will cost me about US$1000 including customs and shipping.

There’s a big difference in quality and features between low and high end drysuits, pockets for example. The general quality and complexity are very different.

DUI are notoriously overpriced compared with every other brand.

Extras add a fair amount to the basic price of a suit…. Si-tec neck seal, heater inlet valve, dry gloves plus spare rings for winter/summer, pee valves, fly zip, rock boots, etc.

There’s also the undersuits and suit heater parts to add.

About the only useful thing I learnt in my class was how to recover from a feet first ascent. That being said the only times its ever happened is when I wanted to practice said skill.

I do suggest playing with the suit in your local dive shops pool so anything catastrophic is only at 10 feet or so. Will also help you learn to control your suit.
I did learn in a pool like you mention. I though did not use scuba to start.

I stayed in area of depth where I could stand and then progressively deeper with only lead weight belt.

With out using scuba, ascending to the surface holding breath is not like on scuba. A burst lung death at a college I found had stopped their scuba program there. It was in 3 feet depth. I heard of this just about 2 years after I was first cert ow in 80. Think it was 87 advance cert.

Only later did I start using scuba with a drysuit. Though prior as a skin diver I intentionally got air in my feet and practiced getting up right again while in pool practice.

It had both manual an power inflator on this close fitting regular neoprene suit.

I could have used neck seal to fill if no manual inflator, but the hood flap with a newer drysuit I have I use the warm neck collar.

Asking to do custom for that and they will not do it. Back when CA had ab free diving allowed (now all everywhere in CA stopped since last 5 years?), back in the 90's I used the drysuit to free dive and it was the greatest.

Courses I took I felt were useful, just never got drysuit course. Practice in a pool if not diving regularly is quite useful. I find a river that is blocked at the ocean is my current pool. Rainy season with low tide and it broken through it is got a swift current, not to be messed with. I stay out of it then.

Avatar is nice, their undersuit is amazing, but for that price, I wouldn't call it a good budget suit. There are a lot better and more advanced suits in that price range. And a lot of them are made to measure. At least here in Europe.

Drysuit class trains you to manage two separate buoyancy devices, your BCD, wing and a drysuit. In that sense, it has to be perceived as a buoyancy class before it turns into anything else. You will learn how to manage the air-bubble in the drysuit, how to vent from the shoulder valve, how to inflate and deal with suit squeeze etc. Drysuit brings with it some very unique problems such as floaty feet and part of your training will be to manage those.

I am often surprised at the question, "Do I need a drysuit class?" Amidst a long list of nonsensical "specialties," when the question is raised in context of drysuit, it makes us wonder what is wrong with people? You really do not need training for anything. You can dive without an open water certification and you would either be fine, or just die in the process right? Same is with drysuit. Given enough time without training, those are the only two outcomes.

When I was learning drysuit, it was a very challenging experience. Fortunately my instructor and her husband were available even outside of class to help out with trip and managing uncontrolled ascents. It was a coaching session that went well beyond the class and without proper guidance, it would not be a picnic.

My advice would be to Get training. It is not that expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom