What is the value of a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI trains you to only use your DS for buoyancy and not your BC
Really?

I was taught by a PADI instructor in Scotland and was trained to use the BC for buoyancy, so I would probably say that your instructor, not PADI, taught you to to use the the drysuit for buoyancy.

Really?

I was taught by a PADI instructor in Scotland and was trained to use the BC for buoyancy, so I would probably say that your instructor, not PADI, taught you to to use the the drysuit for buoyancy.

It will be interesting to see the exact wording from PADI on this matter and not an interpretation from others.

It's easy to control buoyancy in a heavy well fitting neoprene drysuit, I would happily dive twin steel 12 ltr tanks without a wing, in my poseidon uni suit. But definitely not in a poor fitting laminate (bag) suit. All suits are not the same. People should say what suits there talking about.

It will be interesting to see the exact wording from PADI on this matter and not an interpretation from others.

From padi's publication:

"When diving with a drysuit, you use your BC for surface buoyancy, to hold your cylinder (of course) and as backup buoyancy if your drysuit has a problem. With most types of drysuits, at depth you use only your suit to control buoyancy, though with a few types of drysuits, and in tec diving, you may still use your BC."

... Had a serious buoyancy fart on my last dive as it took too long to dump. Ascended 3m/10ft before getting it under control by dumping from the wing and loop — have never had this problem before in hundreds of decompression dives. Was very disconcerting to say the least.

... I absolutely do not want a reoccurrence of that buoyancy issue ever again -- it's incredibly dangerous.

FWIW, I read (somewhere, a long time ago) that in an emergency, if you are head-up and heading up either out of control or on the verge of being out of control, you can "burp" the air out of your drysuit by briefly pulling open the neck seal. You will get wet, probably! Don't rupture/tear the neck seal!!

I don't know how/if this works with an attached hood.

I have never tried this, myself. But, I have always kept this emergency procedure in the back of my mind.

Actually, my only dry suit is a compressed neoprene custom suit (DUI CF200SP). I purchased it (1) because experienced divers who were doing the diving I was training to do (deep Great Lakes shipwreck diving), highly recommended it, and (2) it is very close-fitting, which means more hydrodynamic and a relatively tiny bubble to have to manage.

rx7diver

My nice one was close to 5k. Current pricing would be over 5k.

I was actually talking to another instructor yesterday about drysuit class, a lot about how we feel one agency's (the one I know) standards for it are subpar and he doesn't and I won't just teach those standards, but will exceed them.

It's all about the instructor
Are you talking in USD?

What drysuit is over 5k USD?

FWIW, I read (somewhere, a long time ago) that in an emergency, if you are head-up and heading up either out of control or on the verge of being out of control, you can "burp" the air out of your drysuit by briefly pulling open the neck seal. You will get wet, probably! Don't rupture/tear the neck seal!!

I don't know how/if this works with an attached hood.

I have never tried this, myself. But, I have always kept this emergency procedure in the back of my mind.

During my PADI drysuit class the dive school gave me an extensive training in this area.

The rental drysuit was sized to always train me to adjust my buoyancy to compensate the water going through the neck seal.

Are you talking in USD?

What drysuit is over 5k USD?

Yes USD. Depends on the options you add.

Some I'm sure would be well over if you add a lot of stuff.

Yes USD. Depends on the options you add.

Some I'm sure would be well over if you add a lot of stuff.
Wait, what? 5K is more than double of what anyone should be paying. Unless this comes with dive valet service for a year. In that case, sign me up to have my poor valet clean not only my dry suit when I'm done, but my rebreather too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom