What is the risk of lightning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo:
Wow, twice! I hope that he completely recovered. Is it a wives tale that some people attract lightning more than others? I'm not at all implying that he did anything to attract the shocks, I just mean it seems like I read somewhere that people's body chemistry can cause them to be more prone to lightning strike?

I don't know if there is anything particularly attractive about his body chemistry, or if he did something in a previous life that roused the ire of God, or if he's just plain unlucky. We had a bunch of tests done (nerve conductivity etc.) but that was to check for damage not to determine probability of future hits.

He's fine now, other than a strange compulsion to hide under the bed during thunderstorms. We use him as a night light the rest of the time. :rofl:

Oceanseleven:
My instructor was actually hit by lightning in a fresh water lake. She was taking two students out for their open water certs. and a storm rolled over quickly as they were underwater. She was carying the dive flag and the bolt came right down the line and hit her. She was O.K. but temporarily paralyzed. They had to pull her up onto the boat. They were pretty shallow too ( 15 - 20ft. max ) so I think that had something to do with it.

I just KNEW dive flags were more of a danger than a safety device. They attract the slaloming boaters and jetskis, attract the fishermen, and now they attract lightning as well. Somebody tell me they attract mosquitoes, and I'll leave mine in the car and risk the fine!

theskull

An old g/f of mine (who is also a poster on SB) and I once had a storm and a waterspout (according to the boat capt) pass directly over our flag. I would have looked up if I had known.

To quote a famous (and lucky) diver, "Complacency Kills."

Please don't get complacent about lightning.

It only takes ONCE to end your life or mess it up.
Lots of the things that lightning can do to you don't show up right away and don't have any real treatment available.

It can mess up your brain and nervous system in a variety of ways none of which are pleasent.

I have been hit by lightning and it was not and is not fun. I only got a little bit of the side flash and it still did a number on me. Trust me, you don't want to get hit.

In fresh water, you don't want to be in or on the water with lightning around.
In salt water you don't want to be getting in or out of the water with lightning around. If you are at depth the risk is low but you have to hope that the lightning is done before you need to surface.

fwiw, here’s my single experience with lightning and diving:

I had recently completed a course in lightning protection, so I was sensitive to the power and unpredictability of the stuff. During a surface interval in Cozumel we saw lighting hitting the water perhaps a mile or so from us. Following principals I had recently learned, my wife and I huddled low and near the center of the boat. Of course we took some good natured ribbing. Soon, there was a closer strike, and two guys who were hanging onto the metal frame of the awning jumped from a shock they got, presumably via induction. Suddenly, the center of the boat was very crowded! And we aborted the remaining dive.

So I now watch for any signs of lightning storms (common in the Rockies in the afternoons), and practice avoidance. If I ever do find myself underwater when there’s lightning, I guess I’ll wait it out as long as our air allows.
After that, I’d consider having my buddy surface first and then see if I could stay lower in the water than he while we exited. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom