What is the risk of lightning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here in the Colorado Rockies, summer open water experiences are often interrupted by lightning storms.

I have very little understanding of the degree of risk of divers who are under water at the time a storm arrives or on the surface when a storm arises. I hope someone with more knowledge can explain the actual risks.

Almost no risk under water. The electrical current will be dissipated quickly.

Big risk at the surface, as you are the highest point in the area and have a bunch of metal strapped to you.

theskull

theskull:
Almost no risk under water. The electrical current will be dissipated quickly.

Big risk at the surface, as you are the highest point in the area and have a bunch of metal strapped to you.

theskull

I've read the same thing....lightning won't really bother you unless you are at the surface real close to a direct hit. You can do a search for lightning and diving and lightning in water, etc.

I personally did my first night dive in Cozumel and after about 20 minutes, the entire ocean bottom started flickering (lighting up). Being that it was my first ocean dive trip (only a couple of dives under my belt), I couldn't figure out what was happening. The flickers got more intense and I then realized a storm had blown in up above. Wow..to see the ocean bottom illuminate suddenly over and over again was an incredible experience. The next 20 minutes was a lightning show. I wasn't sure if I was in danger or not..and really there wasn't much to do but enjoy it.

Great question boulderjohn. Here’s an article.

Even if you are not at risk from lightning underwater (at what depth?), I don't want to be there. What if I run out of air before the storm runs out of lightning? Even if it just looks like a storm coming, we avoid the water.

I too did a nite dive (in Belize) when a squall came up and gave us some amazing fireworks. My the time we surfaced, the stars were back and it was an amazing experience. The guide left on the boat wasn't so thrilled though.

there should be a bunch of threads on this subject in the archives. i know there are some good stories of people cave diving and getting hit by lightning.

if i recall correctly, its less of an issue in saltwater, as you are surrounded by a much better conductor, than it is in freshwater, where you are going to be a better conductor than the water around you.

boulderjohn:
Here in the Colorado Rockies, summer open water experiences are often interrupted by lightning storms.

I have very little understanding of the degree of risk of divers who are under water at the time a storm arrives or on the surface when a storm arises. I hope someone with more knowledge can explain the actual risks.

I'm not sure of the answer. But it would seem that wearing a wetsuit would insulate against some of the current if one was in a boat for example. In the water, impossible for me to guess.

I would think that in mountain lakes surrounded by trees, that the trees would be what the lightning would be attracted to. I suppose it depends also on how big the lake is... When we boat, if a storm comes in, we get to shore as quickly as possible.

A while ago I was doing a night dive in Cayman Brac. On the way to the site, I saw a big storm on the horizon. During the dive I was able to turn my lights off and dive on the lightning flashes alone. It was awsome! An hour and a half after we got back, we cowered in our rooms as Tropical Storm Bill passed directly overhead. What a show!! I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Has been awhille since physics, ,but as long as you aren't in contact with the ground or in the path of the least resistant path to ground, you should be fine. lor so it would seem

Back
Top Bottom