What is the purpose of a diving knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishing line is made to be as invisable as possible under water.It is hard to see and is strong enough to cause your death if you become entangled.This fact alone is good cause to carry a cutting devise (or two) while diving.Carry whatever tool you are comfortable with.It doesn't HAVE to be a knife.

I would not want to dive without cutting tools. When I dive in black water my tanks occasionally get tangled in vines, or string, or plastic fishing line, or metal fishing wire. Its one of those things you think will never happen to you. I cut a metal fishing wire off a guy that was sawing away at it with the serated edge of a dive knife. It sure was easier than trying to find and remove the fishing hook that was burried in the rear of his BC.

Fishing line is made to be as invisable as possible under water.It is hard to see and is strong enough to cause your death if you become entangled.This fact alone is good cause to carry a cutting devise (or two) while diving.Carry whatever tool you are comfortable with.It doesn't HAVE to be a knife.

Thank you.

As you thread starter is from Mars, perhaps they don't have fishing line, or kelp or anything that needs to be cut.

I carry a medium size knife on my inside left leg.... a small bc knife on my right side BP/W waist strape and a pair of shears on my upper left side.

If I am spear fishing, the medium knife on the leg becomes a large, pointy one.

I've been or helped others be removed from monofiliment, dacron and stainsteel cable lines...but it depends on where you dive. But there are other uses.

Would bet that I use a knife about 1 out of every 4 dive trips, but sometimes it is just to cutup fruit.

I've been tangled up way too many times at a local quarry. People fish there all the time, and the viz is usually crap, until about 50 ft down....but then it's pretty much darkness. I've spent probably 6-8 mins cutting through fishing line on several dives. It always seems to get around my legs and fins before I notice it. I've never been tangled up anywhere else though...only this one quarry, where fishing lines seem to be everywhere.

I even pulled on enough line one time to bring up an entire rod and reel...fixed it up and gave it to my dad. Now I could have easily pulled the line off of me b/c most of it has been so old that it breaks easy. But using the knife is way more convenient b/c the one I have has shears with it too...it's the xs scuba fogcutter recon and it's the only one I have.

Attachments

• Quarry.jpg
    Quarry.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 804
Ok that's the question. In what cases a diving knife would really save my life? For instance during a moray eel attack?

Why get that close tho something you consider dangerous?

My problem is I cannot imagine the possible bad situations. I cannot understand how one can entangle into for example a fishing net during a proper scuba diving. You see it right there but still entangle? I think this is a stupid question but that's what I want to ask, just to get informed about the subject.

If you have never seen it, you may have almost been entangled. Silly invisible string. Not stupid, just not been there.

What is the ideal size of a diving knife? Maybe I must buy a cressi-sub orca? Is this one too huge to carry out?

Look at this Waistbelt Sheath w/Knife and Shears. I made the same kind of knife for $1.50. Cuts great. The blade is supper sharp and only like an inch and a half long.

You need to watch "Sea Hunt" and you'll see that knives are for hand to hand combat which comes up fairly frequently.

The skill needed for Moray Eels is wrestling.

its the right tool for the right job. your needs will change as well the knife or cutting tool you'll need. your question wasn't stupied just asked the wrong way. you need to find what fits you and the diving you need. some cave divers i have meet carry so many cutting tools they dont need any lead and then in the keys you can get by with a z-knife for that Ooo S*%$*& moment.

I'm trying to figure out how to mount my 42 inch blade katana on my doubles. No need to wrestle morays or anything else. One look at that and they'll be high tailing it out of there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom