What is the procedure for doing a bail-out(or in)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogdiver

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the proper procedure for doing a bail-out scuba exercise?

To "Bail-out" referres to ****ching to a smaller, redundant breathing gas supply to abort a dive due to loss of primary breathing gas supply.

Is that what you are referring to?

It depends on the agency. The way I teach it has a couple different factors to consider. First of all the pool, the student, and the gear being used. My normal method is to have the student sit on the edge of the pool with ALL gear in their lap or held in their hands. Many sling the weightbelt over the shoulder. The second stage is in the divers mouth. They then roll forward into the pool(safest entry method although I have heard some instructors do a standing entry) and as they are descending they don all the gear, mask, weightbelt,bc, fins, then give me the ok and do a 50yd underwater swim. This is a task loading exercise and designed to instill confidence and familiarity with the gear. For new students doing it the way I have them do it does that. The other thing is you may have students who are unable to hang onto everything and take a large enough step to clear the pool edge. One pool I taught in had an 12 inch ledge around below the deck and was not conducive to this. Another had a 4-5 foot drop to the water's surface. Seated entry was a safer method. THe S&P for my agency indicates they must do it with air on. What is not specified is the type of surface entry. So while it is ok to do it standing it is not required. Hope this answers your question. But again instructors have the freedom to modify the exercise to be sure it is safe and accomplishes the goal when it comes to entry. One thing I make certain of is that they know where the reg is when they hit the water. This why I have them do it with the reg in their mouth or in hand ready to pop it in.

First, call Federal Government and beg for money......just kidding.

One important aspect of this skill is to make sure the bc is empty of all air, so normally I have all students in the water to watch the demo and make sure to emphasize dumping all air from the bc before exiting the water. On the pool deck I drop all scuba gear (with proper assistance of course) and start by looping the weightbelt together and passing it up my left arm, next I loosen fin straps and pass them up my left arm, my mask is passed up my left arm and then my left hand grasps the handle in the backplate (tank valve works also).

The first time I demo is with air on, and while holding reg in my right hand I use the appropriate entry (usually standing) and leap into the water shouting 'NAUI!', or 'Odin' or whatever battlecry you prefer. This helps to empty the lungs so that when you hit the water you start to sink. As I descend I make sure to hold all gear in my lap (center), show ear clearing and casually drop to the bottom.

Now, sitting on the bottom of the pool breathing comfortably, I don mask and clear, slip on my fins and then drape weightbelt over my lap. I don scuba unit over my head being careful to show exactly the path of my right hand inregards to the reg hose. Lastly comes the weightbelt.

Voila - the bailout.

Jeff

I'm with muddiver here, and when bailing-out on a rebreather you need to switch off the mouthpiece before changing to the pony reg.

Muddiver, did the machine sensor swit??

What is the proper procedure for doing a bail-out scuba exercise?

The OP clearly asks about this skill as a scuba excersise, and while in many circles bailing out does mean to switch to another gas supply, the bailout is also a specific skill taught in scuba diving. It is a requirement of NAUI Leadership.

Jeff

Well in the circle of Instructors that I have been mentored by the skill JimLap discribed is a modification of a "ditch-n-don". I don't see how you NAUI people got "bail out" out of that?!

halemano, sorry I don't understand "swit". Please translate your statement from Swahili to the Queen's English and I will try to answer. If you are referring to a rebreather, I have not progressed out that limb yet. It may be in my near future because I have taken the first steps into the Dark Side by entering a "true" Nitrox program this month. Mix gas in commercil is done by the Sat Techs and the Life Support Techs, the diver just goes about his business and doen't need to know the mix changed.

halemano, sorry I don't understand "swit". Please translate your statement from Swahili to the Queen's English and I will try to answer.

When I view your first post in this thread I see "****ching to a smaller", so I was wondering if you put the *'s in there or did the censorship function put them in there and what were the original letters anyway?

My guess is a typo of switching... w = h

Well in the circle of Instructors that I have been mentored by the skill JimLap discribed is a modification of a "ditch-n-don". I don't see how you NAUI people got "bail out" out of that?!

halemano, sorry I don't understand "swit". Please translate your statement from Swahili to the Queen's English and I will try to answer. If you are referring to a rebreather, I have not progressed out that limb yet. It may be in my near future because I have taken the first steps into the Dark Side by entering a "true" Nitrox program this month. Mix gas in commercil is done by the Sat Techs and the Life Support Techs, the diver just goes about his business and doen't need to know the mix changed.

Bail out:
YouTube - NAUI Leadership Skill - Scuba Bailout

Ditch and recovery:
YouTube - NAUI Leadership Skill - Scuba Ditch and Recovery

object>

Back
Top Bottom