What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The strangest thing I've found in the ocean wasn't while diving, it was while working on a squid trawler 100 miles off the coast of Virginia. It was the new cook's first trip, and he'd underestimated the appetite and thirst a crew of 14 can work up when putting in hard 18+ hour days. We'd only been out for two weeks when his three week supply of milk ran dry, leaving a very grumpy crew wanting.

Two days later, we hauled in a 15,000 lb. trawl of squid, and when we started processing them we were suprised to discover that along with the catch we'd somehow managed to scoop up a sealed gallon jug of 'Garelick Farms' 2% milk that still had several days left before it expired.

We found fresh milk, 100 miles offshore, six feet off the bottom, and just when we needed it most. We all celebrated with regular coffee, and had a vote to see what to do with the remainder. Tapioca pudding for dessert beat out scrambled eggs for breakfast by a 10 to 4 margin.

On my third dive ever, I found a manikin head floating in mid-water, 4 feet off the botton, tied off to a line and a cinder block. All of this in a cold and dark lake with bad viz. Talk about a "let's finish the dive in the other direction" moment. Since I know someone is going to ask- no, I didn't get close enough to confirm it was an actual manikin.

One night underwater in Cozumel I recognized a guy named E.T. who worked in a dive shop in Houston. He was on another boat and I didn't even know he was in Coz.

In Key Largo there are some train tracks on the bottom, they even have cross ties and look like you could set a box car on them. There are no railroad cars that I could find but there are some railcar wheel and axle sets on the bottom too. Casey Jones...better watch that speed.

about a fortnight ago we took the child diving at Camp Cove (refer picture to check out dive site).

due to the house renovations in the background, they had to bring in some machinery and this came on a barge and stirred up the sandy bottom.

the child found 2 very old bottles. one so far has been dated 1827 and worth about $200, the other one a old ink jar for wirting with a quill but no other details yet.

In my short diving experience, one thing I won't soon forget was a portion of sea lion skeleton. No skull but the whole spine and pelvis and femurs. When I first saw the bones it looked human which creeped me out but when I picked up the whole thing in one piece I realized it was sea lion bones. My next thought was "What did killed/ate this?" That was a swim in a different direction moment.

Two things: While working on a boat in NY harbor during the late 70's I saw a Army Corp boat towing a giraffe behind it. We asked the deck hands the next day about it and apparently it died on board a ship and rather than getting quarantined they threw it overboard. I guess they didn't realize the hudson river flows north not out to sea and it was found north of the Statue of Liberty...
Why was your friend pulling apart interesting Coral, with most Coral reefs in distress tell him take a picture next time and leave the coral alone.

Well, in a lake in Kansas, a toilet. Upright and ready to use.

Blitz:
Mines..... Lot's of them. That was a creepy dive.
I guess that's one way to teach buoyancy control. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom