What Is The Most Important Piece Of Gear You Can Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, this is a resurrected thread!

I'd say, if you dive anywhere where the viz is limited, a high intensity, focused light is the most important thing you can buy.

The most important piece of gear is truly going to depend on who you are and where you're diving.

For me, it was a prescription mask. If I can't see properly, there's really not much point in going.

For someone with better eyesight, it's going to be something else. Water conditions and the type of diving you choose to do will also factor into what will be most important to you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess it depends upon the diving environment. In very cold water, a good exposure suit. If this isn't a concern, in deep water, a good regulator. In the dark, a good light. But overall, I'd have to say that the most important piece of diving equipment is a well fitted mask. Us homo sapiens don't see well without it. :)

You can't buy the most single important thing you need as a diver and that's your brain. Your brain is your most important asset. Without good judgement and experience, all the fancy gear in the world won't help.

It all depends on personal choice, for example, for me the first thing is a good fitting wetsuit because I don't like knowing that i am wearing a rental wetsuit that many people have p'd in. But once agin that is personal choice.

To quote the author, "The Most Important Piece Of Gear. . ."

A wet suit won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A dive buddy won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas (ruling out the premise that you're breathing from his tank).
Your brain . . . I don't really consider that "gear".
A mask won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A light won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A spring heel strap won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
Fins won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A BCD (regardless of type) won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A computer won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A safety sausage won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A certification won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A travel bag won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.

Did I get them all???

Now, having said that the tank is excluded, then THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of gear would be that piece that brought the breathing gas from the tank to your hungry lungs . . . hence . . .

THE REGULATOR

Just my opinion.

the K

To quote the author, "The Most Important Piece Of Gear. . ."

A wet suit won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A dive buddy won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas (ruling out the premise that you're breathing from his tank).
Your brain . . . I don't really consider that "gear".
A mask won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A light won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A spring heel strap won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
Fins won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A BCD (regardless of type) won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A computer won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A safety sausage won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A certification won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.
A travel bag won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.

Did I get them all???

Now, having said that the tank is excluded, then THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of gear would be that piece that brought the breathing gas from the tank to your hungry lungs . . . hence . . .

THE REGULATOR

Just my opinion.

the K

THE REGULATOR won't do you any good scubadiving if you don't have breathing gas.

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This question has many answers. If you have a hard to fit body (or serious aversion to other peoples pee), then a wetsuit might be best. If you want more control over your regs, then a reg set. If you plan on doing alot of repetative diving (like on a live aboard) then 2 computers would be a great investment.

The best piece you can have cannot be bought. It is your brain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom