What is the ideal size RIB for scuba diving?......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok that is what I was thinking also.. Its great to get that input from you TSandM..

A benefit of a smal RIB is that it can be transported on a jet ski trailer and with a helper (or two) it can be launched almost anywhere without a boat ramp.

Trying to justify my purchase last summer :D

Yes this can be a benefit defiantly. That is something I´m looking into also. Good input

What kind of boat do you have ?

Yes this can be a benefit defiantly. That is something I´m looking into also. Good input

What kind of boat do you have ?

I have an AB Navigo. It's 11 foot and I have a 20 HP 2-stroke. I haven't taken it diving yet. I just bought it last fall, and I want to paint it (w protective coating). It needed a little TLC, but I got it very cheap.

Steve

The dive club I am in has a 6.something metre RHIB with rear centre console we can get 6 rec divers on it with tanks for 2 dives. We will be moving to a 6 metre RHIB though (due to new regulations I believe) which will hopefully be better laid out. As it is you have to be very careful with how you arrange gear (especially if you want to get up on the plane :p). So take time with that, possibly getting tank racks if you can (which we unfortunately can't, damn spearos/free divers :p).

I would say a 430 (4.3m, ~14 ft) RIB (rigid-hull inflatable boat) is the best compromise between purchase cost, floorspace, max horsepower, and operational costs. A RIB and a BIG outboard is almost required for SCUBA due to the weight out of the equipment.

I have have a 6m Avon Searider and I have experienced the same as rambaldi in many ways. Mine has a single 150 hp engine that gets me to my destination quite quickly. I tow it on a single axle trailer with a 2001 Olds Bravada that makes it quite economical.

Perfect for two divers and two spectators. But I have accommodated six desperate divers who's charter was cancelled due to mechanical issues.

It is all about planning and organizing for the dive trip, not just planning the dive.

I would say a 430 (4.3m, ~14 ft) RIB (rigid-hull inflatable boat) is the best compromise between purchase cost, floorspace, max horsepower, and operational costs. A RIB and a BIG outboard is almost required for SCUBA due to the weight out of the equipment.

I agree. 4,0 meters or larger would be the best bet. I´m thinking about 4,3 meter Heavy duty QuickSilver with 30 Hp engine. That would be adequate.

21065_324427169784_6575436_n.jpg

Indepth Watersports has IMHO one of the coolest dive RHIBs I've ever come across. twin Cummins diesels and twin jet drive, seating for up to 10 (most trips are 8 or less. Its like an oversized jetski.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom