What is the ideal size RIB for scuba diving?......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't know how big is big enough, but 12 feet is too small, and 20 feet is delightful.

That depends on a lot of things. If you are just looking for a dive boat I might not suggest a RHIB at all.

Here are some of the factors that you should consider though:

Cost: obviously this is going to be a driving factor but your budget is going to limit what you can get.

Hull floorplan: (not sure what to call this) but if you look at a boat from above, faster boats designed to run in heavier seas are going to have a pointier bow, Ive been in some RHIBs where the front 4 feet of the boat are useless because they are only wide enough for a guy to stand in, you cant store much gear or get dressed in this area

Hull profile/hull type: A rigid fiberglass/aluminum deep vee hull is going to provide you with more freeboard, it will also provide you with more stability at speed, better handling in rough water, but it will make entries and exits more difficult in dive gear. Compare this to a zodiac with a flat or shallower vee hull, the pontoons will be at water level making it very easy to get in/out

Console: If you have a console it will be nicer to drive, you can have an awning, electronics, etc, but it will take up a LOT of valuable floor space that could otherwise be used to put people and their gear.

Inboard/Outboard: Inboards can be cheaper/easier to maintain (require a solid hull), however outboards can be easily swapped, and you can mount two for redundancy, etc.

RHIBs are generally not (in my opinion) the best boats for diving. Government agencies use them because cost is not a big deal and they are very seaworthy. If you are an individual with a normal person budget I would recommend a medium sized zodiac type inflatable with a flat/rigid insert type floor. Coupled with a small outboard motor, this boat is easy to store, easy to transport, can be used for diving and for family camping, etc. They are very versatile boats. But if I was buying a dive specific boat, I would look for some sort of aluminum work boat with a pair of outboard motors, benches, possibly a cabin, a helm, a dive door and a solid dive ladder, or if you dont intend on being in rough water, landing craft style aluminum boats. Its great to be able to just swim onto the ramp!

Anyway, I hope this helps, good luck.

Maybe look into something like a Zodiac Bombard Commando C5 (for say 4 divers plus a boat driver) and then around a 25-40hp outboard. Probably your most affordable option, and you dont need to go name brand like Zodiac, there are lots of manufacturers who sell boats of similar quality for less.

Last edited:
It depends where you intend to go and how many of you.

I have a 7.8m/26ft RIB with dual 150hp engines, dual gas tanks, dual batteries, console and dual navigation systems. For my purposes, this is an ideal size and seaworthy going far out into open sea (50-150 miles from port and upto 30 miles from nearest shore). I keep my boat in sea throughout the icefree season. There are normally just one or two persons diving, but, with 4 doubles, 4+ stages and all the gear including cameras and rescue kit and boat necessaries, it does get crowded. If everybody would be diving just singles and two dives, the boat would be ok for 4-5 divers. Commercial operators seem to run similar sized boats with upto 10 divers, all single tanks and single dive, but here the point is that everything has been prepacked at the dive shop/harbor and normally no extra bags are allowed on board.

It depends where you intend to go and how many of you.

I have a 7.8m/26ft RIB with dual 150hp engines, dual gas tanks, dual batteries, console and dual navigation systems. For my purposes, this is an ideal size and seaworthy going far out into open sea (50-150 miles from port and upto 30 miles from nearest shore).

A picture of your monster-cool boat pleaze!!!! Your boat must rip!!!!

Cheers,

X

For monster RIB's check out Puffin Diving in Scotland - Super RIB's P3 and P4 - Sound of Mull RIB Boat Dive Trips

we now have a fleet to include 2 11m Redbay Stormforce ribs powered by twin 240hp Diesel inboard engines with the added benefit of full instrument specification and radar for longer trips.

I was thinking about that also. What is the minimum size of inflatable boat to dive from ?

I was thinking of buying 3,80 meter inflatable with 15 Hp engine. Is that to small for 4 adults, 2 divers and 2 crew.

Any input or personal experiences would be very appreciated.

We tried to take four divers in single tanks out on a 12 foot (roughly the same size) RIB one day -- we couldn't get it up on plane, there was no place to put our feet, and I had to finish gearing up in the water. If you had two divers and two crew, it would definitely be better. It's a pretty small boat for anything but calm water, though.

Back
Top Bottom