What is the deal on one tank Night Dives????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I dive frequently and love to dive at night but I refuse to pay the same price for a one tank night dive that I would for a two tank day dive. If you feel as a consumer that this is unjust let everyone know and post here. If anyone has a good explanation as to why this is I would like to hear it.

I think the justification is that the cost of operating the boat is about the same and the crew all have to work outside normal hours.

Locally the dive boat operator does a 2 tank boat trip with one of the dives being an early evening dive or a dusk dive (later in the season) and then the other being a full fledged night dive after the surface interval. The customers get two dives, the trip still does not leave until after the divers are off work and the crew really is not out any later than they would be for a 1 tank night dive.

Thanks for your post but what is the difference in the cost between the 2 tank day and the 2 tank dusk and night dive? That is my deciding factor and the basis for my argument. Why should I pay as a consumer the same price for half of the service. It is nice to see that dive operators in your area do 2 tank night dives.

It's simple really.

The operators of the boat have the following going on:

1. They probably have families and lived to tend to, I'd imagine if they HAVE to be away from them at night TOO, it needs to be worth thier while. It's not like they stay there 24/7 with nothing better to do than wait for divers to decide they want to grab a night dive.

2. Not nearly as full a boat as day time weekend operation.

3. Income -v- expense. Cost of operation, paying the crew, wear and tear on facilities, compressor, galley, etc. Everything, costs money.

4. They don't do this for free.

While it's a service industry, it's not all cash-n-bank. In reality, night diving while alot of fun, doesn't attract the masses as day dives do. So, when an operator does throw on night dives, and you're paying 2 tank prices for one tank night dives, they are really trying to make the boat actually make money. No one goes into business to lose money or break even. That would simply be insane.

One can't argue that "If they charged the same prices as day trips they would have more business". This is simply not true. Divers like anyone else, can express that intent, but it's simply not true. Divers too have "life happen" and not everyone is single and or jobless with nothing to do the next day. There arn't enough divers within any locale that are not only willing to go night diving off a boat with the frequency that will make lower prices or greater number of dives -v- price possible, but comit to it.

As a consumer you always have a choice. Go with the service or not. If there are other dive operators offering the same thing at a lower price, then go for it. However, if the cost is more or less the same wherever you go, there must be a reason for it. All the explanations here so far seem reasonable.

at many resort locations, the staff may be small enough that they cannot just have people come in later in the day. When I have night dive duty, my day starts before 8am and ends after 9pm. I don't really want to work them.

The dive operator wants to meet the demand, but they also want to make money. Too many night dives per week, and you are diluting your potential pool of customers while increasing your costs with extra overtime.

costs the same to run irrespective of how long you're out there.

Its basically $X per nautical mile in operating costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom