What is the best dive computer for under $300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been looking at dive computers and am going to purchase one. I am new to diving and won't be doing anything advanced for a while but would definitely like to pursue that in the next year or so. With that being said, I want to get a computer that I will be able to keep and use for those things and not just get a simple computer for now. I have gotten reccomendations for the mares puck and the cressie leonardo dive computer and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on those, or if there was another one around these price ranges that I could look at. I want to spend the least amount possible, but I want to make sure I get a quality computer.

Asking what the best computer for under $300 is a lot like asking what is the best car under $30K. There are lots of great choices on the market today and you probably won't go wrong with any of them. Here are a few things to keep in mind though:

• Make sure it is Nitrox adjustable as this is probably one of the first additional certs you'll get.
  • Is it easy to read and use. If you have poor eyesight, can you easily read the data on the screen.
  • Where are you buying it? This is important in case it needs routine service or warranty work.
  • Are you looking for air integrated or wireless?
Good luck, you should have no problem finding a decent computer around $300. I own three Suunto Zoops (around $250-$300) and a Suunto Cobra 3 ($600+). I've never had a problem with any of them.

My wife and I dive the Mares Puck. Easy to set up and use. One function button for everything. Does EAN. Very nice computers for the price.
RichH

Puck is good. I like Oceanic products because you can adjust the algorithm. Did not so muck like the Gekko, predecessor of the Zoop, because it was a little too paternalistic and extremely conservative. Haven't played with the Zoop, but a lot of people like them. Lots of good choices.

I like the puck very much. Very easy to use once you understand the menu setup.

Since Mares just upgraded to the Puck Pro, you can get the regular puck for right around $200.

I just upgraded to a ScubaPro Galileo Luna and still use my Puck as a backup.

Just about any $1200 computer that is only a couple of years old can be found on the used market for less than $300. You can probably get an air-only (not Nitrox) for well under $100. Computers are getting better at a rapid rate so upgrade when you are ready for all the advanced capabilities. That will also teach you a lot about what you want from the computer in terms of capability and usability.

Look for YouTubes on both the Puck and the Zoop. They are very informative. Both have different functionality as far as what the buttons do. I'm going to buy the Zoop in the near future based on seeing the hands on in the videos. YMMV.

I did my first OW dives this weekend with the Leonardo. I very much liked the interface and depth, total diving time, current temperature on the screen was very usefull and it had a clear layout.

I haven't used the other computers off course, but I made a wishlist and bought the computer which met my wishes under € 200 at my LDS.

My wishlist:

-nitrox capable
-easy control with gloves
-backlight display
-temperature measurement
-display total diving time on first screen
-large depth display and NDL
-computer interface witch could be read by libdivecomputer. (Open source software used by all but the manufactorer own)

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk

My advice, once you have a good idea what computer you want (regardless of price), play the market! I can't tell you how many awesome computers I have seen on Craigslist for dirt cheap compared to their retail price. Last month I bought a Suunto D6 for $200 (retail is like $1,000-ish), because it was sold on Ebay as "Not working, for parts." Before my buy, I checked with my buddy who is a Suunto technician and we saw that according to the serial number, it was still under 5 year warranty! It was sent in for servicing, worst case scenario if they don't cover the repair...I pay $140 to my buddy for an overhaul. $340 for a $1k computer? I had a good day!:cheers:

That being said, I am a bit of a gear nut and one of my "hobbies" is drooling over the tech-specs of the new computers so I am pretty familiar with gear. IF you decide to buy used (and I can't stress this enough), consult with someone else that is more experienced and ask them if they think it is a good deal. Don't rush into a buy with this kind of stuff. If the serial number on that D6 I bought was outside the 5 year warranty, I was looking at a $200 paper weight! :bonk:

Ask the seller questions! How many dives does it have? Has it ever flooded? When was the battery last changed? Where did you buy it? Is it still under warranty? That kind of stuff.

Happy, smart shopping!!

I have used the leonardo for 50 dives. I like it for what it is. It is very easy to read underwater. It has a backlit screen for night dives. It is nitrox compatible. Functions are all 1 button and pretty easy to do and hard to screw up.
You can also buy the kit to download the dives to your computer if you want.

In the future when I get a petrel I will use this one in gauge mode as a backup computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom