What is required for a doubles setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
obviously you need 2 tanks, a manifold, be able to fit them on your BC, but what else is required. i am thinking about buying a dual 63 cu. ft. setup but want to see what im getting myself into first. thanks.

Well, besides the cylinders, manifold, and bands, you will need a BC of some sort (BP&W with harness, or another BC that is designed for use with doubles), two first stages and two second stage regs (one for each valve outlet), pressure gauge for the left post, BC inflator hose, and maybe a drysuit hose.

Basically, thats all the equipment you need. You might also want a couple of SS clips and a necklace for the backup.

:aeh:
LUBOLD8431:
two first stages and two second stage regs (one for each valve outlet), pressure gauge for the left post

im confused. i thought the point of the manifold was to connect the 2 tanks together into one. therefore only using 1 set of regs. if thats the case, then why dont i save money and just buy 2 tanks and band them together?? aaaaahhhhhhh. someone please explain.

Thirty years ago or so that was the case. Since the early 1980s, however, most manifolds run two 1st stages, yoke or DIN. The function of the double tanks was to increase total gas supply, as well as to provide a limited amount of redundancy in the event of equipment failure when the diver couldn't surface. This included the ability to shut off the 1st stage that was leaking gas, thereby conserving remaining gas, while still offering a redundant 1st stage to the diver (and the diver's buddy). In order to do so, obviously, the primary second stage would come off the first 1st stage, while the backup second stage would come off the second 1st stage.

The issue was not only additional gas supply, but also redundancy - primarily of regulators; access to gas supply.

There are many reasons to explore small sets of doubles. I dove for many years with first a set of aluminum 50s then a set of aluminum 63s, in the 80s and early 90s.

But what are YOUR reasons for wanting to double up a set of 63s? That may have some bearing on whether its a prudent move or not...

OK, let me explain (although a picture is worth a thousand words) you have two cylinders, each with a valve, with a crossbar joining them together. The bands hold them together, and provide an attachment point for the Backplate or BC. On each valve, you have one first stage which has one second stage attached to it. This provides redundancy. Just like on a single tank rig, you have a backup (octo, if you will). In this case, each second stage has a first stage going to a different valve. However, with the manifold, you can now breath off of one reg, which has access to the air in both cylinders. Make sense?

For more info check these webpages out: http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equipmentimages.htm

Yeah, like Doc said, there are some manifolds with a single outlet from 20 years ago made by USD and others. Now, we have these wonderful dual outlet isolation manifolds, which make things very nice.

What you'll need will vary depending on the design of your system. The importance of an isolation manifold is greatly over rated. Manifolds with a single output are cuttently in use at the US Naval Diving and Salvage Traning Center in Panama City, Florida. A manifold with two outlets is an excellent idea.

justin-branam:

im confused. i thought the point of the manifold was to connect the 2 tanks together into one. therefore only using 1 set of regs. if thats the case, then why dont i save money and just buy 2 tanks and band them together?? aaaaahhhhhhh. someone please explain.
I think you'd only being buying another 1st stage. More than likely you can use the 2 seconds you have with your current reg.

You can still use the SPG and inflator on your current reg, but you just might need to get some different length hoses.

The dual outlet Manifold isolated or not is up to you. The isolator has it's advantages and disadvantages that you need to analyze for yourself. You could alwyas go with the single output, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of going to doubles.

Is no one going to mention the pile of money you need?

You also have to factor in the kind of diving you plan to be doing. If you go out on a boat, you need to be able to get 2 dives out of the doubles, and considering most people will be diving AL80s, the doubled 63s might not give you enough gas to complete both dives with decent bottom time.

There is also a school of thought that says you shouldn't dive doubles without redundant lift, so that would mean a drysuit. I don't know if you would need that kind of redundancy for the 63s, but it's something to think about.

You also need to be prepared to learn how to dive again, diving in doubles is NOT the same as diving with heavy single tanks. Believe me on that one.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Rachel

I'd like to ask a question as long as we're on the subject of manifolds. I'm a bit confused regarding the tank valves on a manifold setup. When you close either of the tank valves, doesn't that cut off the air supply from that tank? Or does the manifold setup mean that closing either of the tank valves mean that the first stage attached to that tank is restricted while allowing gas to continue flowing through the manifold to the other first stage?

Thanks,

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom