What is proper fit for fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericpitar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

The padi open water book states the footpocket's top edge should touch the corner where the ankle meets the leg. However, my problem is the fins that I fitted to be the most comfortable in the foot are 1 to 1.5" away from this point. On the other hand, other fins that come close to that corner have too large foot and toeboxes that give me foot cramps....

My question is, how important is the foot pocket's top edge touching that corner? Is 1.5" away close enough? Has anyone out there had a problem resulting from a footpocket that was too "short"?

I dont particularly remember this being a problem in the rental fins i've tried but what I do have problems with are fins with too big footpockets that let too much wiggle room for my toes, thus resulting to foot cramps. Is my solution only to get thicker booties?

in another book you will see something saying that your fins must be the correct length to match the length of your shin... but yet more scientific test show that shorter more flexible fins are more efficient.

Basically, use what works for you... If its comfortable and you like them you are golden

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom