What is happening with NAUI these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandiegoaes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What is the current status of the BOD and NAUI in general? I have lost track (and interest) of the latest drama with the Board. There has been so much turmoil, it is hard to keep up!

It's a shame to see NAUI is such bad shape. I didn't bother voting in last years election or renewing this year since things have gotten so convoluted.

Hopefully they sort this out soon. Given the current state of the diving market in general, I wouldn't be surprised if major changes happen soon.

NAUI seems to get confused easily. I've been a NAUI instructor for a number of years but rarely teach NAUI courses (almost all SDI and TDI).

What is the current status of the BOD and NAUI in general? I have lost track (and interest) of the latest drama with the Board. There has been so much turmoil, it is hard to keep up!

It's a shame to see NAUI is such bad shape. I didn't bother voting in last years election or renewing this year since things have gotten so convoluted.

Hopefully they sort this out soon. Given the current state of the diving market in general, I wouldn't be surprised if major changes happen soon.

Do you think that this is the place to ask such questions in a public forum?

If you didn't bother to renew or vote, then you don't have the right to ask questions or complain. What makes you think that NAUI is in a bad shape more than the dive industry as a whole due to COVID and other issues happening worldwide and affecting everyone else in the business?

NAUI is fine and programs are running and great products (most of them).

NAUI seems to get confused easily. I've been a NAUI instructor for a number of years but rarely teach NAUI courses (almost all SDI and TDI).

I have been a NAUI instructor for almost 40 years as well as instructor for several other agencies and I choose to teach almost exclusively NAUI. NAUI's eLearning and textbooks are superior to others and the level of expected skill and knowledge levels of graduates is superior to others. (I have compared several other agencies' products and standards to NAUI's and I find that NAUI's products aren't only "better" but are actually superior).

If you didn't bother to renew or vote, then you don't have the right to ask questions.
Seems to me that a discussion forum is actually a really good place for things like questions and the, you know…discussing they may generate. :popcorn:

If you didn't bother to renew or vote, then you don't have the right to ask questions. What makes you think that NAUI is in a bad shape more than the dive industry as a whole due to COVID and other issues happening worldwide and affecting everyone else in the business?

NAUI is fine and programs are running and great products (most of them).

A tad bit defensive? No need for that. The OP asked a question. You chimed in with your highly positive experiences. No need for the defensiveness. This is a discussion forum after all. The OP has the ‘right’ to ask just about any question he or she wishes within the T&Cs of the forum.

Seems to me that a discussion forum is actually a really good place for things like questions and the, you know…discussing they may generate. :popcorn:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

A tad bit defensive? No need for that. The OP asked a question. You chimed in with your highly positive experiences. No need for the defensiveness. This is a discussion forum after all. The OP has the ‘right’ to ask just about any question he or she wishes within the T&Cs of the forum.
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

NAUI members are governed by standards and rules set by the agency concerning conduct and ethics we, as members, are required to adhere to these standards in private and public. Violating rules and standards will subject violating members to certain actions. The code of conduct is something every and each single member of NAUI has agreed and signed when they signed up to become NAUI members.

I am not defensive, I am setting the record straight.

One can come here in this PUBLIC "discussion forum" and bring out the internal affairs of their marital relationship and not leave anything to imagination and will be OK by the "forum's T&Cs" but he/she will be violating the sanctity and privacy of their family and expected conduct and decorum within their family/organization unit. It very low to do this especially when one has signed and sower to respect these rules and covenants. As a member, I am obligated to uphold the rules at all times, just like when I see an instructor or any dive leader violate training or safety standards, I must report it to the responsible party in the agency. We work with an honor code and respect our covenants with our agency.

NAUI members are governed by standards and rules set by the agency concerning conduct and ethics we, as members, are required to adhere to these standards in private and public. Violating rules and standards will subject violating members to certain actions. The code of conduct is something every and each single member of NAUI has agreed and signed when they signed up to become NAUI members.

I am not defensive, I am setting the record straight.

One can come here in this PUBLIC "discussion forum" and bring out the internal affairs of their marital relationship and not leave anything to imagination and will be OK by the "forum's T&Cs" but he/she will be violating the sanctity and privacy of their family and expected conduct and decorum within their family/organization unit. It very low to do this especially when one has signed and sower to respect these rules and covenants. As a member, I am obligated to uphold the rules at all times, just like when I see an instructor or any dive leader violate training or safety standards, I must report it to the responsible party in the agency. We work with an honor code and respect our covenants with our agency.

Riiiiight.

And "setting the record straight" = sharing your opinion, which you have every right to do. But it is just one instructor's opinion.

I have no dog in this fight. I've never had a thing to do with NAUI. Just pointing out that jumping the OPs case just makes you look, well, like a defensive NAUI-fanboi. But clearly you are, which is cool. But trying to censor someone asking an honest question, that's just not cool. You argue that a member of the "family" shouldn't air such questions in public, but then you say someone who is not a member of the "family" has no right to air such questions in public. So what you really want is for no one to be able to ask questions about the NAUI BOD. Smells like censorship to me.

I have been a NAUI instructor for almost 40 years
You beat me by a couple of years, still with NAUI to this day.
Been there, and done that with 2 other agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom