What is happening with NAUI these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap simply pointed out that NAUI has a code of ethics that would preclude some of the criticisms being bandied about.

I would be curious what part of the NAUI Code of Ethics prevents members from discussing the current BOD on ScubaBoard? Can anyone tell me?

From the last line in section 2: • officially represent the Association to the press and public only when specifically authorized and in other cases specifically identify personal views and opinions as such.

From the last line in section 2: • officially represent the Association to the press and public only when specifically authorized and in other cases specifically identify personal views and opinions as such.
I think you're saying that the original question is in compliance, right? It's unclear to me what about the OP's post set BoltSnap off, especially having now read the code. Nobody is representing themselves as "officially" representing the Association, and it would be a stretch to to think comments on SB aren't specifically understood as personal views.

Or did I miss something?

So, what IS up with NAUI? Would love to hear an answer to the original question with the caveat that I'm not interested in gossip.

I think you're saying that the original question is in compliance, right?
I always thought that, but yes., this section from their CoE shows that they are allowed to have their own opinions.

We had a discussion long ago about a certain rebreather in that during a Thanksgiving dinner, it turned out that three instructors were selling theirs due to a lopsided "no-compete" decision. A good friend was subsequently penalized for his rather benign comments in that discussion. Some people just don't like any discussion of their policies and will do anything to squash it. Make no doubt about it, if anyone threatens me or my livelihood with threats of legal action, I'm going to publish it. I will be certain that what they thought would be a private intimidation will be known to as many people as I can tell. Assuredly, we actively discourage people from trying to hold a business cyber hostage through threats of online retaliation. In the same vein, we do want to hear when businesses try to control the narrative through threats.

Or I start the Association of Reputable Scuba Educators. Maybe I'm super successful and people won't say "I got my PADI" but rather "I got my ....."
If you do this, I WILL come take a course from you.... If nothing else, when asked for my certification I could then show my ARSE!

If you do this, I WILL come take a course from you.... If nothing else, when asked for my certification I could then show my ARSE!
&$#% @James79!!!!! I'm eating lunch right now and you made me spit food all over my keyboard. What a mess!

With the OP asking: Hopefully they sort 'this' out soon. Given the current state of the diving market in general, I wouldn't be surprised if major changes happen soon.

What is 'this' ? What happened within NAUI ? And what are they doing - if any - to make changes in the organization? Is 'this' something that all the dive schools have been through?

I've got no dog in this fight, I'd just like to see somebody answer the question.
This is a still a scuba diving forum, yeah ? Somebody answers w/ something I disagree with, I can certainly keep scrolling. This is the internet after all. I get it.

Some peoples responses have taken the original post and spun it, deflected it, twisted it all up - and came across like a veteran US politician - who never answers the damn question in the first place.

and came across like a veteran US politician - who never answers the damn question in the first place.
Do you think this only happens in the US? We have experts here.

Edit: Deleted the long spiel I wrote about being with NAUI for over 30+ years, did not want to bore you all to death.
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom