What is "Gold Line"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The history behind gold line and the sad story of how it came to be:

Simply put, Gold goes to an exit. The side passages are usually lined with thinner line, typically white in color. This practice originated after a fatality where there was confusion about the line being followed.

Assumptions in this case made a ass out of only me.
Last time I saw the colour codded lines was in Molnar Janos, after that I used them at work sites that were flat and mucky and just assumed that you guys in Florida do the same thing.

To be fair, gold line being used to indicate the mainline in a cave is only standard in Florida. Here in Mexico, gold line is (almost) always used to indicate a cavern line. This confused the heck out of a buddy of mine once when I went to tie in to a white line and he was expecting gold.

That is all to say, find out about local navigation protocols before you dive!

They are also testing color coded system arrows in some caves in Mexico, with colors indicating if the jump from that arrow is to the right or left. Not cookies, but in that general “color coding markers” theme…

"Gold line" is the same basic size/strength/dimensions as 550 paracord. Kernmantle construction with a gold sheath and a 7 bundle core. It's about 3mm diameter.

To be fair, gold line being used to indicate the mainline in a cave is only standard in Florida. Here in Mexico, gold line is (almost) always used to indicate a cavern line. This confused the heck out of a buddy of mine once when I went to tie in to a white line and he was expecting gold.

That is all to say, find out about local navigation protocols before you dive!
I'm pretty sure "gold" line is only in the popular caves, I did a dive in LaFayette Blue (sort of west of peacock springs) and it still had white expedition line ran though the system. Still had survey cookies in it as well. Fun little dive if you are tired of the crowds at Peacock.

I'm pretty sure "gold" line is only in the popular caves, I did a dive in LaFayette Blue (sort of west of peacock springs) and it still had white expedition line ran though the system. Still had survey cookies in it as well. Fun little dive if you are tired of the crowds at Peacock.
There are dorf markers in there too. Not many of those left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom